This cowl and how to fix it up...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gewalker

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang convertible
Stock 302, Edelbrock 600CFM carb
So, the below pictures give you an idea of the kind of crud I'm dealing with on my cowl and firewall. Any suggestions as to how to clean this up, seal and protect it from rust without removing the engine? Is it even possible to do a proper job of this with the engine in place?

5E274qA.jpg

The firewall, the cowl rubber, etc. are all pretty cruddy.

0buJQVk.jpg

And there's lovely patches of bubbly rust-under-paint.

So, the below pictures give you an idea of the kind of crud I'm dealing with on my cowl and firewall. Any suggestions as to how to clean this up, seal and protect it from rust without removing the engine? Is it even possible to do a proper job of this with the engine in place?
See my vid here

& my thread here

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-doing-up-the-engine-bay

See my vid here

Thank you!

Well if you want to do it once and forever. You should get a new cowl. If it so bad that you can poke an awl through it, then you have bigger problems than surface rust. If holes are possible then you will never stop the rust growth unless you remove all of it. I've found that a 1/8" bubble on the outside usually means a quarter size cancer on the inside. From your picture it looks like rust across the front, if so the lower cowl will have the same rust.

Back