1971 and 1972 mach 1 wheel and tire question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I have seen Marti report on 1971 M code Mach 1 that came with 14 inch wheels and noticed a 1972 Q code Mach 1 with factory 15" Why with the same engine different wheels per model year?

A simple ( but complicated!) answer...if that even makes sense:

All 71 & 72 Mustangs of every model came standard with 14" wheels/ tires, and 15" Magnum 500's were available on any model with a V-8 engine.

The singular exception in '71 is the BOSS 351 which came with 15" wheels and 2-puece hubcaps ( an extremely rare setup, by the way!)

I am not positive if Magnum 500s were optional on Grandes or not, but all the V8 options were, so I think maybe they might have been. However I have never seen an original Grande with Magnums.

In 73, all Mustangs came with 14" wheels with a variety of standard or optional hubcaps, and new-for-73 14" aluminum rims were available optionally on Mach 1s and convertibles, and possibly ( but not positive) on other v-8 powered models.

There were no 15" wheels (Magnum 500 or otherwise) available on any 73 Mustang.

And, for what it's worth, the 15 inch Magnums could only be ordered along with competition suspension.

All 71 & 72 Mustangs of every model came standard with 14" wheels/ tires, and 15" Magnum 500's were available on any model with a V-8 engine.

The singular exception in '71 is the BOSS 351 which came with 15" wheels and 2-puece hubcaps ( an extremely rare setup, by the way!)

I am not positive if Magnum 500s were optional on Grandes or not, but all the V8 options were, so I think maybe they might have been. However I have never seen an original Grande with Magnums.

In 73, all Mustangs came with 14" wheels with a variety of standard or optional hubcaps, and new-for-73 14" aluminum rims were available optionally on Mach 1s and convertibles, and possibly ( but not positive) on other v-8 powered models.

As an aside, there were 213 (according to Marti) hardtops built in 1971 with Magnum 500s. I would think that some of them may have been Grandes:).

BT

As an aside, there were 213 (according to Marti) hardtops built in 1971 with Magnum 500s. I would think that some of them may have been Grandes:).

BT
As a side note # 2

15 inch wheels with 2 pc dog dish caps were not a Boss exclusive

These could be ordered on other cars I know of 5 Mach 1's with them 3 are 351 M codes and 2- 429 J code cars

Might have been a 71 only deal - not sure - never saw any on a 72

Very nice: did not know the 15" steel wheel and 2-piece hubcap was avsilable as an option on any model. Always thought they were only available as standard eQuipment on a BOSS 351.

Also, "hardtops" have a different body code than Grandes, so would not the Marti report you refer to not include Grandes?[/align]

I have a 71 M-code Mach 1 that came with 15" steelies, dog dish caps and trim rings. It show t on the Emminger invoice.

I also know of 4 other cars with this setup from the factory. I will check what years those cars are.

Very nice: did not know the 15" steel wheel and 2-piece hubcap was avsilable as an option on any model. Always thought they were only available as standard eQuipment on a BOSS 351.

Also, "hardtops" have a different body code than Grandes, so would not the Marti report you refer to not include Grandes?[/align]
Kit, when I referred to Marti, I was not speaking of a specific report but of the "Mustang ...by the Numbers (1967-1973)" book.

Sorry for the confusion.

BT

Kit, when I referred to Marti, I was not speaking of a specific report but of the "Mustang ...by the Numbers (1967-1973)" book.

Sorry for the confusion.

I am second owner of my car and it came with 14 inch wheels and the dog/dish trim ring combo. I thought you needed 15 inch wheels for disc brake cars to clear the calipers? My WAS a factory 4 wheel drum car.

BT

Back