Cobra Jet Dual Inlet Air Cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed HIGHLY Optioned
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Just recently learned about the "Dual Inlet" Cobra Jet air cleaner, where besides having the inlet snorkel on the passenger side, an additional vacuum activated trap door ( inlet) is installed on the driver's side.

What was the determining factor in this "Special" air cleaner being installed on a 1973 351 4V engine?. Was it an option?. I've read various positions on 1973 351 4V's being designated "Cobra Jet". What is the "Correct" & "Definitive" answer on what constitutes a 1973 Cobra Jet engine.

Also does a "Cobra Jet" air cleaner MUST have the chrome air cleaner lid???!!

My 1973 Mach 1 351 4V is a 4 bolt main with a dual point distributor ( only available on 4 speeds) & is 99.999999999% stock. I believe my engine is a "Cobra Jet", yet I DON'T have the dual inlet air cleaner.....WHY NOT???!!!....Would appreciate a documented "CORRECT" answer, NOT someone's Guess!....Thanks!!!...Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
The dual inlet air cleaner was used on 72 351 HOs, and all 429s without ram air.

I didnt know it came on other engines, but it is for additional air flow under full throttle, so I assume it came on the higher-performance engines. Not all "Cobra Jets" had them though: My 72 Q-code ( non ram-air) did not have it.

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Just recently learned about the "Dual Inlet" Cobra Jet air cleaner, where besides having the inlet snorkel on the passenger side, an additional vacuum activated trap door ( inlet) is installed on the driver's side.

What was the determining factor in this "Special" air cleaner being installed on a 1973 351 4V engine?. Was it an option?. I've read various positions on 1973 351 4V's being designated "Cobra Jet". What is the "Correct" & "Definitive" answer on what constitutes a 1973 Cobra Jet engine.

Do you have a Marti report ? If so what engine does Ford say you have ?

That chrome lidded - diverter door air cleaner came on 1972 351-4V CJ engines

The diverter door was also on some Boss 302 air cleaners - I didn't know it was on 429 cars so I take Kit's word on that.

Kit your 72 CJ should have had the diverter door unit - although if it was a very early or very late run car there may have been changes.

My 72 Q-code air cleaner did not have the diverter door on it, but it did have a chrome lid.

I am pretty sure the non ram-air cars got the diverter doors and the ram-air cars did not. One or the other, but not both.

I know that the 72 HOs all got the diverter doors because the HOs were not avaialable with ram-air.

Last edited:
I have my original 4v air cleaner for my 73 351 4v Q code. Anser in my book is no...They did not get the chrome lid top...Nor the dual inlet's....Mine had a steel painted top with a worn out sticker that said 351 4v on it."gone now i repainted it years ago"..Single outlet on mine.

Do not know about the 2v cleveland ram air thou.

I have my original 4v air cleaner for my 73 351 4v Q code. Anser in my book is no...They did not get the chrome lid top...Nor the dual inlet's....Mine had a steel painted top with a worn out sticker that said 351 4v on it."gone now i repainted it years ago"..Single outlet on mine.

Do not know about the 2v cleveland ram air thou.
+1

Mine is a CJ and it came with one snorkel and all painted, no chrome lid.

-jbojo

The diverter door was also on some Boss 302 air cleaners - I didn't know it was on 429 cars so I take Kit's word on that.

Kit your 72 CJ should have had the diverter door unit - although if it was a very early or very late run car there may have been changes.
My Marti report states my engine is a "Q" code. Original numbers matching drive train. Thanks for everyone's input. My air cleaner does have the single snorkel cold air inlet that enters via the accordian tube & plastic components below the radiator. I was thinking it would be "Cool" to have another cold air intake system to mirror the existing system on the driver's side of the air cleaner....Mark

I have a q-code too and I have had some investigations about it...

I do not have the original air cleaner assembly unfortunately but I am searching for one in a good shape and friendly money.

The 1973 q-codes were no longer officially named "Cobra Jet" but they are lower compressioned Cobra Jets indeed. The 351 4V never had originally Ram Air in 1973, this was only possible on 302 2V engines from the factory.

The 1973 4V never had the "351-CJ" Decals on their air cleaners but "351-4V".

From my research they have had indeed a chrome lid on the top - at least the 1973 4Vs. But never a second snorkel or something like that.

Here on ebay is one from which I say it is a correct 1973 4V air cleaner:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1972-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-COUGAR-351CJ-AIR-CLEANER-ASSEMBLY-351C-4V-/390129389626?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ad586103a

This is just my 2 cents on this - perhaps I am not right at all...

Tim

Yup..this is how the sticker looked on mine..But more wore out

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/images/11068079+w799+h499+cr1+ar0/mump_0811_06_z%2B1973_mustang_convertible_ram%2Bair_air_cleaner_%2Bfront_view.jpg

I'm sure jbojo can confirm on this too...He got his new off the lot in 1973..I think the one you are seeing is just a steel polish lid..not a real cromed lid.."could be wrong" But im pretty sure mine was original.
Nice original looking engine compartment ::thumb::

73 CJ,

It is possible that the owner before custom fit the extra snorkel to your air cleaner? I have included the 1971 to 1973 air cleaner lid from the Ford Master Parts that has the D3ZZ part number and it is listed as Chrome. The mustang code is listed as "F". Looks like it was the only one that had it.

2q1uro5.jpg

Source: FMC Copyright May 1975

mustang7173 :D

My Marti report states my engine is a "Q" code. Original numbers matching drive train. Thanks for everyone's input. My air cleaner does have the single snorkel cold air inlet that enters via the accordian tube & plastic components below the radiator. I was thinking it would be "Cool" to have another cold air intake system to mirror the existing system on the driver's side of the air cleaner....Mark
Mark --- Marti report on a 1973 Q code says

Q 351-4V

A marti report on a 1972 Q code says

Q 351-4V CJ

Ford dropped the CJ name in 73- same engine just not called a CJ.

Late production 73 - -4V engines were said to have smaller valves.

I have never found / seen any though

I have a q-code too and I have had some investigations about it...

I do not have the original air cleaner assembly unfortunately but I am searching for one in a good shape and friendly money.

The 1973 q-codes were no longer officially named "Cobra Jet" but they are lower compressioned Cobra Jets indeed. The 351 4V never had originally Ram Air in 1973, this was only possible on 302 2V engines from the factory.

The 1973 4V never had the "351-CJ" Decals on their air cleaners but "351-4V".

From my research they have had indeed a chrome lid on the top - at least the 1973 4Vs. But never a second snorkel or something like that.

Here on ebay is one from which I say it is a correct 1973 4V air cleaner:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1972-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-COUGAR-351CJ-AIR-CLEANER-ASSEMBLY-351C-4V-/390129389626?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ad586103a

This is just my 2 cents on this - perhaps I am not right at all...

Tim

Tim true the 351-4V did not come with ram air

Ram air was only available on 351- 2V cars

No 302 cars came with ram air either

In 72 the CJ got a chrome lid and air cleaner with a diverter door

In 73 the CJ was dropped for the plain 4V name

The air cleaner did not have the diverter door but

Some very early cars did get a chrome lid - later cars did not.

Ford dropped the CJ name in 73- same engine just not called a CJ.

Late production 73 - -4V engines were said to have smaller valves.

I have never found / seen any though
I have some..My mustang late made..and has the smaller valve 4v heads..I guess i should take some detailed pics and post them up for people so they can see the diffrence..I almost thought they was a myth till i got my other cobrajet heads with 2.19 valves and noticed how smaller the valves was in my head...Yet everything else is the same about..It allmost seems to have a smaller combustion chamber too in the small valve heads.

aww some did get a chrome top..learn something new every day ;) I was not for sure on that one

Tim true the 351-4V did not come with ram air

Ram air was only available on 351- 2V cars

No 302 cars came with ram air either

In 72 the CJ got a chrome lid and air cleaner with a diverter door

In 73 the CJ was dropped for the plain 4V name

The air cleaner did not have the diverter door but

Some very early cars did get a chrome lid - later cars did not.
Don,

thanks for clearing that - mine is an April '73 car, so it should has had a none-chrome lid.

Tim

Hey Don,

Are you saying that the "Q" code was actually referred to as the "CJ" in 72, but not in 73?

That's odd...I was thought the opposite was true. I have seen lots of literature from Ford calling the 73 Q-code a "CJ", but don't really remember ever seeing a Ford reference to a "CJ" in 72.

Oh well, learn something new every day about these cars that stopped production 40+ YEARS AGO! I love it.

Being the owner of a "Cobra Jet" I always had a snobbish attitude towards the Q-codes co-opting the name, since all "Cobra Jets" previous to that were big blocks...no small block "Cobra Jets".

Then one day, it finally hit me: The 351 Q-code (or any other small block) really never has been officially or otherwise referred to as a "Cobra Jet"...just simply a "CJ".

A "CJ" is not a "Cobra Jet", just as a "Cuda" is not a "Barracuda".

So, our big-block "Cobra Jet" names are safe!

(Whew!)

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/images/11068079+w799+h499+cr1+ar0/mump_0811_06_z%2B1973_mustang_convertible_ram%2Bair_air_cleaner_%2Bfront_view.jpg

I'm sure jbojo can confirm on this too...He got his new off the lot in 1973..I think the one you are seeing is just a steel polish lid..not a real cromed lid.."could be wrong" But im pretty sure mine was original.
Yup, mine looks like that one.

-jbojo
Late 1960's big fords and even some trucks have air cleaners with the extra vacuum door in them. I have seen Boss 302 owners "graft" them into smaller mustang style air cleaners as the originals are nearly impossible to find. These air cleaners are huge and have what looks like a big oil filter sticking out the side.

x4rq6w.jpg

- Paul

Yup, mine looks like that one.

-jbojo
Late 1960's big fords and even some trucks have air cleaners with the extra vacuum door in them. I have seen Boss 302 owners "graft" them into smaller mustang style air cleaners as the originals are nearly impossible to find. These air cleaners are huge and have what looks like a big oil filter sticking out the side.

x4rq6w.jpg

- Paul
Hello Paul; Have NEVER seen that LARGE of a diverter vacuum housing. What year/type Ford/Mustang is that picture of?!. I also noticed the accordion flex hose connected to a "Cold Air Intake" (?)...VERY NICE SETUP!!!....I very much appreciate everyone's input!!!...I find it interesting figuring out the nuances of our 71-73 Mach 1s....THANKS!!!...Mark

Back