White Face Gauges

All,

Just wondering if anyone has used these white face gauge overlays?

http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/Ford/Mustang/1971%252d1973/White-Face-Gauges/

If anyone has and could take a quick picture that would be great. I want to see how they look installed and if they make a big difference. I'm getting tired of looking at my old gauges and how dull they are. I already bought new LED's from Hipoparts and I'm getting a new instrument cluster circuit board from CJ PonyParts. If there is anything else I need to get, please let me know. Thanks!

1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png

I'd suggest you also pick up some new sockets for your bulbs, mine were quite corroded and caused a few issues when trying to get my LEDs to work. Also note that your LEDs will most likely have polarity, so they'll only light when wired in the correct orientation, your best bet is to bench check the cluster before putting it back in the car.

2013 Ford Focus SE Flex Fuel 5spd - Daily Driver

All,

Just wondering if anyone has used these white face gauge overlays?

http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/Ford/Mustang/1971%252d1973/White-Face-Gauges/

If anyone has and could take a quick picture that would be great. I want to see how they look installed and if they make a big difference. I'm getting tired of looking at my old gauges and how dull they are. I already bought new LED's from Hipoparts and I'm getting a new instrument cluster circuit board from CJ PonyParts. If there is anything else I need to get, please let me know. Thanks!

I used that company's set on my 71 Camaro..Fit perfect..looks great..You do have to be wary of lint debris etc when installing so it doesn't get trapped under the decal..I actually wet down a piece of glass on my work table (keeps lint dust down) & did the install over it..The Camaro is tucked away for the winter otherwise I would grab a pic.

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

Check out Ron Evenson's videos on the installation of the white face gauges. There are a couple of videos on the installation and one of the installation of the LEDs.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-3rd-video-in-series-1971-sportsroof

Haven't heard much from Ron recently. He has a cool green and gold sportsroof.

Steve

73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code C6 Auto

73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code 4 Speed

I'd suggest you also pick up some new sockets for your bulbs, mine were quite corroded and caused a few issues when trying to get my LEDs to work. Also note that your LEDs will most likely have polarity, so they'll only light when wired in the correct orientation, your best bet is to bench check the cluster before putting it back in the car.

Thanks for reminding me. I already have a few boxes of new sockets that I bought a while ago. I did read about the polarity, they only work one way. For the bench test, can I use my battery trickle charger to power the lights? Thanks again...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Many relevant discussions/threads on our site:

http://is.gd/aK1Lf4

I had to use a URL shortener is the reason the URL looks weird and text doesn't look like

(http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ETC) (Just an example - not a working link!)

Ray

Ray

Thanks Ray... I'm still wondering how you do those links. Great info!!

Check out Ron Evenson's videos on the installation of the white face gauges. There are a couple of videos on the installation and one of the installation of the LEDs.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-3rd-video-in-series-1971-sportsroof

Haven't heard much from Ron recently. He has a cool green and gold sportsroof.

Thanks... Great videos, now I know how they will look. I'm going to pull the trigger and pick these up. This is really not fair... Ron has his bride (I'm assuming) working on his car. He does have a very cool car...

1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png

Thanks for reminding me. I already have a few boxes of new sockets that I bought a while ago. I did read about the polarity, they only work one way. For the bench test, can I use my battery trickle charger to power the lights? Thanks again...

I would be a little wary of the trickle charger but for short bursts you might be okay. Just don't leave it connected for long. You might do better to use a little 9v battery. I have a 12v power supply that I hooked up. You can mark the circuit board with the positive and negative and check each bulb instead of trying to power the whole cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be a little wary of the trickle charger but for short bursts you might be okay. Just don't leave it connected for long. You might do better to use a little 9v battery. I have a 12v power supply that I hooked up. You can mark the circuit board with the positive and negative and check each bulb instead of trying to power the whole cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once again... thanks for the advice. This forum and its members are a valuable resource with one goal in mind... keeping our beautiful cars on the road. Very cool...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png

I've got them on my 72, The previous owner of my car installed them, I'm at work at the moment but can post a few pics when I get home in the morning, for you..

Anything is possible, It just takes time and MONEY....

I've got them on my 72, The previous owner of my car installed them, I'm at work at the moment but can post a few pics when I get home in the morning, for you..

That would be great, thanks! I was thinking of upgrading to some after market gauges until I stumbled across these!

Here are a few pic's sorry about the quality I'll try again in daylight,

Here's one I found on my computer,

002.thumb.JPG.7a517c62db78b2efd9aae1f6611c2b81.JPG

001.thumb.JPG.18064942c39e142abf2424a41bc697ed.JPG

1282095903_430768_370717556287471_100000476899783_1476889_1911813202_n-Copy.jpg.f347ab2dbeebaf5ae512868dc54acbfa.jpg

Anything is possible, It just takes time and MONEY....

Now that is a project worth taking on. I had a 911 with white gauges and it was one of my favorite parts of the car. Seriously what is the name of the maker of those?

And how do you not like the Ford woodgrain? Its awsome!

Just saw these pop-up at CJ:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-gauge-face-electroluminescent-set-with-tachometer-1971-1973/p/GF46/

Anyone give them a try? They have a picture of the Non-Tach cluster and it looks pretty good.

• 2 months later...
Guest BigPinoyHunk

i did those overlays and when i got done doing it, my engine TEMP gauge stopped working and i was like FML! :huh:

they look good though. i just recently installed aftermarket gauges in the main cluster and going to replace the little 1.5 gauges in the center with other gauges as well.

Just saw these pop-up at CJ:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-gauge-face-electroluminescent-set-with-tachometer-1971-1973/p/GF46/

Anyone give them a try? They have a picture of the Non-Tach cluster and it looks pretty good.

MechEng,

Thanks for sharing. I believe I've seen those before, they really do look cool. I'm not sure how they are wired in so not sure if my car would be a candidate. I'm gonna have to do some research!

1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
unnamed4.jpg.13cfa9db0c0764e78c69a4eb428b67fc.jpgunnamed2.jpg.8c9a3a0cbea043d25836c05e25ec7dc9.jpgunnamed3.jpg.e66f3811b00a4e0fcc77d54223128c3c.jpgGot mine on. Went with the Burgundy. It matches the paint color well. Pretty simple to install, and I went ahead and freshened everything up with some new paint. Since the lettering for the radio and heater are on the clear face I was able to paint the backing and the clock just the outer frame.

20130410_123708.jpg.eb3fe648d910e7054a2c7cf13982877f.jpgThose look great, & we love ours! Very worth the small amount of money & time & yes my wife installed the overlays because I dislike putting on stickers :)20130410_122248.jpg.c2034d3ead36d56986d0f885288d965b.jpgIMG_606708229467738.jpeg.a4bebc33d119d8c72c96a260d8558489.jpeg

It might be lonely at the Top...But it's a Bitch at the Bottom

::beer::