White Face Gauges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
All,

Just wondering if anyone has used these white face gauge overlays?

http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/Ford/Mustang/1971%252d1973/White-Face-Gauges/

If anyone has and could take a quick picture that would be great. I want to see how they look installed and if they make a big difference. I'm getting tired of looking at my old gauges and how dull they are. I already bought new LED's from Hipoparts and I'm getting a new instrument cluster circuit board from CJ PonyParts. If there is anything else I need to get, please let me know. Thanks!

I'd suggest you also pick up some new sockets for your bulbs, mine were quite corroded and caused a few issues when trying to get my LEDs to work. Also note that your LEDs will most likely have polarity, so they'll only light when wired in the correct orientation, your best bet is to bench check the cluster before putting it back in the car.

All,

Just wondering if anyone has used these white face gauge overlays?

http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/Ford/Mustang/1971%252d1973/White-Face-Gauges/

If anyone has and could take a quick picture that would be great. I want to see how they look installed and if they make a big difference. I'm getting tired of looking at my old gauges and how dull they are. I already bought new LED's from Hipoparts and I'm getting a new instrument cluster circuit board from CJ PonyParts. If there is anything else I need to get, please let me know. Thanks!
I used that company's set on my 71 Camaro..Fit perfect..looks great..You do have to be wary of lint debris etc when installing so it doesn't get trapped under the decal..I actually wet down a piece of glass on my work table (keeps lint dust down) & did the install over it..The Camaro is tucked away for the winter otherwise I would grab a pic.

I'd suggest you also pick up some new sockets for your bulbs, mine were quite corroded and caused a few issues when trying to get my LEDs to work. Also note that your LEDs will most likely have polarity, so they'll only light when wired in the correct orientation, your best bet is to bench check the cluster before putting it back in the car.
Thanks for reminding me. I already have a few boxes of new sockets that I bought a while ago. I did read about the polarity, they only work one way. For the bench test, can I use my battery trickle charger to power the lights? Thanks again...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Many relevant discussions/threads on our site:

http://is.gd/aK1Lf4

I had to use a URL shortener is the reason the URL looks weird and text doesn't look like

(http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ETC) (Just an example - not a working link!)

Ray

Ray
Thanks Ray... I'm still wondering how you do those links. Great info!!

Check out Ron Evenson's videos on the installation of the white face gauges. There are a couple of videos on the installation and one of the installation of the LEDs.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-3rd-video-in-series-1971-sportsroof

Haven't heard much from Ron recently. He has a cool green and gold sportsroof.
Thanks... Great videos, now I know how they will look. I'm going to pull the trigger and pick these up. This is really not fair... Ron has his bride (I'm assuming) working on his car. He does have a very cool car...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reminding me. I already have a few boxes of new sockets that I bought a while ago. I did read about the polarity, they only work one way. For the bench test, can I use my battery trickle charger to power the lights? Thanks again...

I would be a little wary of the trickle charger but for short bursts you might be okay. Just don't leave it connected for long. You might do better to use a little 9v battery. I have a 12v power supply that I hooked up. You can mark the circuit board with the positive and negative and check each bulb instead of trying to power the whole cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be a little wary of the trickle charger but for short bursts you might be okay. Just don't leave it connected for long. You might do better to use a little 9v battery. I have a 12v power supply that I hooked up. You can mark the circuit board with the positive and negative and check each bulb instead of trying to power the whole cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once again... thanks for the advice. This forum and its members are a valuable resource with one goal in mind... keeping our beautiful cars on the road. Very cool...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've got them on my 72, The previous owner of my car installed them, I'm at work at the moment but can post a few pics when I get home in the morning, for you..

I've got them on my 72, The previous owner of my car installed them, I'm at work at the moment but can post a few pics when I get home in the morning, for you..
That would be great, thanks! I was thinking of upgrading to some after market gauges until I stumbled across these!

Here are a few pic's sorry about the quality I'll try again in daylight,

Here's one I found on my computer,

002.JPG

001.JPG

430768_370717556287471_100000476899783_1476889_1911813202_n - Copy.jpg

Now that is a project worth taking on. I had a 911 with white gauges and it was one of my favorite parts of the car. Seriously what is the name of the maker of those?

And how do you not like the Ford woodgrain? Its awsome!

Looks good!::goodjob:: I think I'm going to order the Burgundy to match the color of the car!

i did those overlays and when i got done doing it, my engine TEMP gauge stopped working and i was like FML! :huh:

they look good though. i just recently installed aftermarket gauges in the main cluster and going to replace the little 1.5 gauges in the center with other gauges as well.

Here are some pics of mine that I finished last weekend.

znoowy.jpg

x3sjeh.jpg

10q9a3b.jpg

nnpjjm.jpg

Do this with the LED set up and it would be killer

Back