HOW TO 4R70W SHIFT LINKAGE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Heres a quick how to on whats required to use your stock shifter when doing a 4r70w swap like I'm doing..They big difference between the 4r70w & aod linkage wise is that the 4r70w uses whats called a dtr or tr sensor..(transmission range sensor) It's what tells the computer what gear the shifter has chosen (P.N.D.etc.) So in order to use the stock shifter an arm has to be fabricated to mount onto the tr sensor.. Problem is theres no provision for that...Plus the factory arm on the 4r70w is reverse from what is required for a stock shifter (needs to push not pull) Heres how I did it..I happened to have a c-6 shifter arm assembly handy so I figured out copied the dimensions throws angles from the center shaft up & out..I also was able to enlarge a picture of the arm that they use in the aod conversion kit..Using that I then made up a new shifter arm out of strip stock. The next step was how to mount it on the tr sensor shaft. Whats required is to drill a hole in the shaft for a 1/4-20 bolt..Then tap..start with 1/8" bit & work your way up..Once that was done I then drilled the arm to fit over the shaft..You can see in the picture that the shaft has 2 flats..I purposely drilled the arm to fit around the entire shaft..What I intend to do is get my final adjustment when the tranny is installed its then a simple matter to mark the arm for the flat..add some material with the mig (see picture with pen pointing)..then file to fit against the flat..I also made 2 washers that sandwich the arm..one behind one in front..I think the pictures show it pretty well & you can see how perfect I have the arm geometry when it's next to the c-6 arm..I'm going to use the bottom arm thats on the 4r70w as the lock out..If all goes well I will post up a full size pdf template of the new arm..tranny is at the shop getting done as is the motor so hopefully by the end of march the new drive train will be installed.

101_0755.JPG101_0756.JPG101_0757.JPG101_0758.JPG101_0760.JPG101_0763.JPG101_0764.JPG101_0765.JPG

Thanks for the write up. I'll be there in a few months so I really appreciate this stuff. Did you figure out where you're going to bring the harness into the cab?

Thanks for the write up. I'll be there in a few months so I really appreciate this stuff. Did you figure out where you're going to bring the harness into the cab?
Your welcome,

Waiting on the baumann stuff..should be here this week..Need to kinda have the tranny installed have all the components in hand to know figure out the wire routing..

This may seem like an odd question but I'm curious. Does the TRS have to physically connect to the 4R70W? As in does the movement of the linkage do anything beyond moving the sensor? What I'm getting at is if I can duplicate the sensors output in another way can I get away from the linkage completely. Or is something on the 4R70W itself also being adjusted by the linkage? Thanks!

This may seem like an odd question but I'm curious. Does the TRS have to physically connect to the 4R70W? As in does the movement of the linkage do anything beyond moving the sensor? What I'm getting at is if I can duplicate the sensors output in another way can I get away from the linkage completely. Or is something on the 4R70W itself also being adjusted by the linkage? Thanks!
Yes the movement of the linkage moves an arm inside the tranny to select the gears..So while you may be able to relocate the sensor or duplicate the signal in each gear you still need a servo or actuator to push pull for gear selection..The only way to get rid of the shifter mechanism in the car would be something like this

http://www.emc-digi.com/explore.cfm/smartshift/

Or

http://mastershift.com/new-street-auto.html

Yes the movement of the linkage moves an arm inside the tranny to select the gears..So while you may be able to relocate the sensor or duplicate the signal in each gear you still need a servo or actuator to push pull for gear selection..The only way to get rid of the shifter mechanism in the car would be something like this

http://www.emc-digi.com/explore.cfm/smartshift/

Or

http://mastershift.com/new-street-auto.html
Thanks for the response! I'd looked around online but couldn't find a definitive answer. Also appreciate the links. The looks and sounds amazing by the way!

Hello guys,

I have been away for some time now and was contacted by a member asking me to post my information and solutions for this conversion - particularly into the 71-73 cars.

I will take some pictures of what I have to offer as well as the upgrades needed and every shortcut for this install in coming days.

I have a 4R70W in stock and will do a step by step as requested to help others along. In the mean time if you have any questions please feel free to PM me

Joe

Heres a quick how to on whats required to use your stock shifter when doing a 4r70w swap like I'm doing..They big difference between the 4r70w & aod linkage wise is that the 4r70w uses whats called a dtr or tr sensor..(transmission range sensor) It's what tells the computer what gear the shifter has chosen (P.N.D.etc.) So in order to use the stock shifter an arm has to be fabricated to mount onto the tr sensor.. Problem is theres no provision for that...Plus the factory arm on the 4r70w is reverse from what is required for a stock shifter (needs to push not pull) Heres how I did it..I happened to have a c-6 shifter arm assembly handy so I figured out copied the dimensions throws angles from the center shaft up & out..I also was able to enlarge a picture of the arm that they use in the aod conversion kit..Using that I then made up a new shifter arm out of strip stock. The next step was how to mount it on the tr sensor shaft. Whats required is to drill a hole in the shaft for a 1/4-20 bolt..Then tap..start with 1/8" bit & work your way up..Once that was done I then drilled the arm to fit over the shaft..You can see in the picture that the shaft has 2 flats..I purposely drilled the arm to fit around the entire shaft..What I intend to do is get my final adjustment when the tranny is installed its then a simple matter to mark the arm for the flat..add some material with the mig (see picture with pen pointing)..then file to fit against the flat..I also made 2 washers that sandwich the arm..one behind one in front..I think the pictures show it pretty well & you can see how perfect I have the arm geometry when it's next to the c-6 arm..I'm going to use the bottom arm thats on the 4r70w as the lock out..If all goes well I will post up a full size pdf template of the new arm..tranny is at the shop getting done as is the motor so hopefully by the end of march the new drive train will be installed.

I would like the full size pdf template of the new arm .i have a 4r70w built and ready to install in my 1970 mach1 

email to [email protected]

thank you

Back