steering wheel ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen many! That is the standard factory steering wheel for 1971-1973. EDIT: SEE CORRECTION BELOW

(edit: many people call the 2 spoke - pad goes straight across as the standard but it is the Deluxe)

The Deluxe is a 2 spoke and the other factory option wheel is the Rim Blow.

CORRECTION - for 1971 this steering wheel is standard but in 72 and 73 the Deluxe became standard and the plain wheel with the large center pad/horn button was no longer offered.

Ray

Base steering wheel on these cars:

71_mustang_59.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
nailpounder

I have seen several threads where the Mustang II Steering wheel is a direct bolt on and looks really nice, if you so desire to upgrade. The top section of the steering column are same as the 1970 -1973 Fords. Nice of Ford to do that!

wsqnb8.jpg

mustabg7173 :D

Interesting to see a standard steering wheel in a car with a gauge package. I will say again that nothing surprises me on these cars from the factory. I figure half the employees were stoned on the line... But i dont think that putting a mustang ghia wheel in our cars is good Karma. Just an opinion.

Interesting to see a standard steering wheel in a car with a gauge package. I will say again that nothing surprises me on these cars from the factory. I figure half the employees were stoned on the line... But i dont think that putting a mustang ghia wheel in our cars is good Karma. Just an opinion.

It was not uncommon to have someone select performance options and not select many creature comfort or unnecessary things to be equipped on the cars. I remember when even power steering was not preferred by racers due to the parisitic drag on the motor to run the PS pump. -And air conditioniong on a true muscle car was out-of-the question!!!! The older type A/C compressors were/are heavy too.

I'm with ya on most aftermarket/other vehicle's steering wheels. For a modded look, the Nardi's and Momo wheels are pretty cool but can be pricey. The 66 Mustang type steering wheels are just OK but (in my opinion) look really cheap. The Mustang II wheels are just OK but also look out of place on our cars. I'll take a stock steering wheel over many of the other options available.

Ray

Actually, that was the standrd wheel in 71 only. In 72, the deluxe 2-spoke became standard.

I actually like the look the of the 74 wheel.

I respect that. Many people do. I owned a few Mustang II's and never really liked them. (I have to admit they were all 6 cylinder cars - even the 74 Mach 1.)

Most of the Mustangs I see at shows are running this type of steering wheel. Apparently it is plentiful. Just doesn't look right to me. And no matter how many times I hear it - this wheel was never stock for 1971-73 Mustangs.

dr2ttz.jpg

For a modded look - I like these

i5q52r.jpg

2iuassn.jpg

Hey if someone wants to put a 11 inch chrome chained link steering wheel on their Mustang and they like it - I completely respect that. Just not for me.

Ray

Those are very beautiful steering wheels but I agree they just don't look right on a 71-73 Mustangs. It's all about taste and to each there own. But not on my car no way. If I had a Cobra kit car hell yes that's the wheel for me.

I like that wood Nardi wheel. Very classy. The O.E wheel is to large, unless you have a tilt wheel its tough to get in and out easily. 

I was more thinking of putting it on my 68 stang. It has wood grain dash and wood grain on the overhead console, and door panels. 

Back