Vac Can Mystery - help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampiyacu

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
Putting the finishing touches on my '71 Mach I (4v, A/C) and found a problem with one of the vacuum canisters. The hook up on the small can (see pic) is fine but on the larger lower can, one outlet is connected by a hose leading to the C6 but the other outlet has no hose Can anyone comment on whether or not this open port needs a hose and, if so, where should it be connected? Thanks

Putting the finishing touches on my '71 Mach I (4v, A/C) and found a problem with one of the vacuum canisters. The hook up on the small can (see pic) is fine but on the larger lower can, one outlet is connected by a hose leading to the C6 but the other outlet has no hose Can anyone comment on whether or not this open port needs a hose and, if so, where should it be connected? Thanks
Have another go a posting a picture my friend, theirs no pic in your post...

Need a picture to see what you have but

There should only be a vac can for the A/C

it sounds like your describing the vacuum canister for the A/C climate control system, and the Emissions Charcoal canister for the fuel vapor recovery system.

the transmission should not be hooked up to Either of those.

the c6 transmission modulator should be hooked up to full manifold vacuum on the intake manifold just like the vaccum booster for the brakes.

the vacuum canister is a vacuum battery of sorts it stores vacuum for use by the climate control vacuum motors behind the dash board.

the canister compensates for the loss of vacuum when accelerating, there is a one way reed valve on the vacuum can the closes when vacuum is lost.

the transmission modulator needs the signal from full manifold vacuum rising and dropping so it knows the load is changing from the engine and it can shift correctly so you want the modulator to see vacuum rise and fall , by having it hooked to the vacuum canister it is seeing constant vacuum which the transmission thinks the engine is under very low load and it will not shift correctly until the mechanical kicks in.

as for the evaporator can for the fuel system.

there is one line on the fire wall that feeds into it from the fuel tank. a small hose went to the original carburetor fuel bowls to allow the vapor fuel in the bowls to not escape into the air. the Vaccum that drives the charcoal can came from a Large paper tube hose that ran into the original air cleaner base, this provided a atmospheric vacuum that sucked air from the canister which vented the vapor build up from the fuel bowls and the fuel tank, back through the intake which the engine burned :)

hope this helps

this is my car

the black can on the shock tower is the vacuum canister

the blue can on the lower apron is the fuel vapor canister.

the black vacuum can, has 2 hoses, a input from full manifold vacuum on the engine, which goes in the center and has the reed valve, and the output hose which goes through the firewall into the cabin and feeds the main climate control vacuum hose manifold that we call the octopus.

a view of the octopus behind the dash

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Be sure to drop a pin on our member map under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

that was when i had the engine out and detailed the engine bay and had the entire front clip basically replaced.

that was going on 7-8 years ago now. its pretty dusty from driving now i try to keep it out of the rain hee hee.

this is as it was going back together

http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/72hcode/library/suspension?sort=2&page=2

funny found that photo i wanted for the charcoal hookups

72hcode,

Great looking car...enjoyed looking through all the pics in your link. Looks very similar to what I am going through...hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back