Factory ran out of Deluxe door panels?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
Can anyone varify this? Over the years, I have taken my 71 conv to judged car shows and getting gigged for Standard door panels cause the rest of the interior is Deluxe.. my car was built in May.. some say they ran out of Deluxe door panels... during the new body change. Did they run out? Is this rare? Should I switch to Deluxe or keep std. as a factory flaw?

I'm pretty sure my car came with the std panels since I bought it from the orig. owner in 1983 ( who would switch Deluxe for Std. anyway?)

Thanks for reply.. lovew this site

I wish my car came with standard panels. The deluxe are all cracked and the aftermarket still hasnt gotten their act together for replacements.
Thanks for the insight.. was hoping new deluxe would be better

We've discovered some fairly odd occurences on our cars here. Anything is possible with end of model year production.

Post an introduction if you haven't yet and let us give you a proper welcome!
Thanks for the input... still getting around the site... introduction coming soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear there are "workable" black and white panels on the market. I need med blu which is a common color for our cars but not for door panels. The guys with green interiors are screwed!

I hear there are "workable" black and white panels on the market. I need med blu which is a common color for our cars but not for door panels. The guys with green interiors are screwed!
Fortunately my int. is white

Can anyone varify this? Over the years, I have taken my 71 conv to judged car shows and getting gigged for Standard door panels cause the rest of the interior is Deluxe.. my car was built in May.. some say they ran out of Deluxe door panels... during the new body change. Did they run out? Is this rare? Should I switch to Deluxe or keep std. as a factory flaw?

I'm pretty sure my car came with the std panels since I bought it from the orig. owner in 1983 ( who would switch Deluxe for Std. anyway?)

In 1971 your car would have come with standard door panels unless you had the interior decor group. If you have the door tag you would be able to tell by the trim code or if you get the Marti report. The interior decor group is a rare option on the 71 convertibles.

"Deluxe" refers to the interior "Decor Group" option which included cloth or comfortweave seat covers, rear ash tray in right quarter trim. Black instrument panel appliques, deluxe 2-spoke steering wheel, molded door trim panels, color-keyed racing mirrors, rocker panel moldings and wheel lip moldings.

If your car truly came with the deluxe interior, I doubt it came with standard panels. If so, there would have been some kind of credit on the window sticker. Do you have access to the original sticker?

This is what I think may have happened:

The car was probably delivered with deluxe panels, but in a convertible the deluxe panels perished pretty quickly. Probably within 3 years or so they may have been cracked and split so badly that the owner was compelled to replace them sooner rather than later.

There were no NOS deluxe panels available at anything other than stupid money, so the owner may have just bought a pair of easily-available and cheap repro standard panels. I've seen this scenario many times over the years.

The repro deluxe panels that came later were big expensive, and really ard not very accurate and are quite ill-fitting. I have bought and returned 3 sets over the years because they were poorly executed.

My 71 sounds like your description, it has Deluxe seats but standard door panels. The window sticker is posted in my Photo Album, it lists Decor Group. It has been this way since purchased in 76.

I believe all the convertibles came with woven seat covers. Getting deluxe interior probably added the deluxe door panels and dash panel upgrades. It should be in the build manuals. I'll check soon to verify.

Convertibles could come with standard all vinyl seats, I stripped a early build date 71 convertible that had the standard seats and door panels. Uncommon to see though as most were ordered with deluxe interior or people have upgraded them to the woven seats.

You are different, and us deluxers have never liked it when you standardites try to attend car shows and blend in with the rest of us. You flat-panelers have no idea how cool it is to thrust your left hand into the grip of the voluptuously-curved molded foam and vinyl piece of automotive artwork and pretend that you are "Maverick" sighting down on some unsuspecting schlub in a fart-can Honda who can't seem to get his "10 second car" out of our way in traffic.

Although, you are our brethren, fellow Mustanger and one day we hope you will see the light and come over to the "no room between the steering wheel and door panel" side with us!

Last edited:

Thanks for the info.. I'll have to check my door sticker (it's still there!)

I assume I have a deluxe interior since the car has vinyl comfort weave seats, two spoke steering wheel, chrome accents around the bezels and glove box, full console, rear ashtray duel racing mirrors rocker moldings wheel lip mouldings and rare? hood lip moulding near windshield.. also has protection group side body mouldings and front bumper guards.. I have orig. window sticker from the late Lois Eminger who was Ford employee..

I will try to post it here

In 1971 your car would have come with standard door panels unless you had the interior decor group. If you have the door tag you would be able to tell by the trim code or if you get the Marti report. The interior decor group is a rare option on the 71 convertibles.

"Deluxe" refers to the interior "Decor Group" option which included cloth or comfortweave seat covers, rear ash tray in right quarter trim. Black instrument panel appliques, deluxe 2-spoke steering wheel, molded door trim panels, color-keyed racing mirrors, rocker panel moldings and wheel lip moldings.

If your car truly came with the deluxe interior, I doubt it came with standard panels. If so, there would have been some kind of credit on the window sticker. Do you have access to the original sticker?

The car was probably delivered with deluxe panels, but in a convertible the deluxe panels perished pretty quickly. Probably within 3 years or so they may have been cracked and split so badly that the owner was compelled to replace them sooner rather than later.

There were no NOS deluxe panels available at anything other than stupid money, so the owner may have just bought a pair of easily-available and cheap repro standard panels. I've seen this scenario many times over the years.

The repro deluxe panels that came later were big expensive, and really ard not very accurate and are quite ill-fitting. I have bought and returned 3 sets over the years because they were poorly executed.
last I checked... my std door panels were date stamped on the inside from Ford... (month) 1971... I'll have to check the window sticker to see if Dlx panels were a "delete" item?

My 71 sounds like your description, it has Deluxe seats but standard door panels. The window sticker is posted in my Photo Album, it lists Decor Group. It has been this way since purchased in 76.
Very interesting.. I will have to check my build date again... looks like your car was built/delivered in Oct 1970?

Again, just wondering if info I was given is true... they simply ran out of deluxe door panels towards the end of the production run on the newly re-styled 1971 models...

Your car came with the standard door panels, in 71' convertibles came with standard door panels unless you got rhe decor group.

Then you got the deluxe dashboard and door panels.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapTalk

You are different, and us deluxers have never liked it when you standardites try to attend car shows and blend in with the rest of us. You flat-panelers have no idea how cool it is to thrust your left hand into the grip of the voluptuously-curved molded foam and vinyl piece of automotive artwork and pretend that you are "Maverick" sighting down on some unsuspecting schlub in a fart-can Honda who can't seem to get his "10 second car" out of our way in traffic.

Although, you are our brethren, fellow Mustanger and one day we hope you will see the light and come over to the "no room between the steering wheel and door panel" side with us!
lollerz

Your car came with the standard door panels, in 71' convertibles came with standard door panels unless you got rhe decor group.

Then you got the deluxe dashboard and door panels.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapTalk
That's what I find odd about my car... it has the "Camera" finish dlx gauge and glove box panels with chrome trim and dlx comfort weave seats... bought from original owner in 1983

Will post pics and window sticker later

That's an interesting observation. My 73 convertible still has the original deluxe door panels and they are in very good condition. There is one small quarter inch long crack in the vinyl just above the drivers side door handle that is not noticeable unless you lean over and look for it.

My 73 convert was a driveway kept car the first 6 years of it's life and not garage kept until 1979. Since then, it has been garaged kept (and barn kept) most of the time. I was fairly meticulous about keeping the vinyl treated with Armour All throughout the years. It has always been a Virginia car with a lot of top down use. Maybe the converts in Florida and the southwest may have suffered more vinly sun damage early in their life. Anyway, surprising to hear your comment the convertible deluxe door panel only last 3 years or so. Another Mustang mystery to be solved! :)

Back