351 C DIST

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILLIAMPARDELL

Reaction score
My Car
72 MACH1
35000 MILES
HI

I HAVE A MSD DIST AND CAP I CANT TELL WHERE #1 IS ON CAP.I COULD USE A PICTURE SHOWING WHER IT IS. ALSO ALL THE REST OF DIST WIRES AND ENGINE. PLEASE HELP

BILL PARDELL

HI

I HAVE A MSD DIST AND CAP I CANT TELL WHERE #1 IS ON CAP.I COULD USE A PICTURE SHOWING WHER IT IS. ALSO ALL THE REST OF DIST WIRES AND ENGINE. PLEASE HELP

BILL PARDELL
I have 2 MSD distributors and neither have a 1 marking on the caps though I have seen caps like this. Not sure why you are concerned with this as any position on the cap can be used as the number one position as long as you follow the correct firing order from there. For a 351 the distributor rotates CCW (not sure for the others motors) but if you follow the correct firing order from where you designate the #1 position you should be fine. Keep in mind that you need cylinder #1 to be at or near TDC on the compression stroke and the rotor at the slot you designated #1 on the cap so that the wire that goes to that cylinder 1 gets the spark.

As a norm take the shortest spark plug wire, connect it to the spark plug and then on the cap where it will reach. Then run the other wires in the correct firing order. Again the motor has to be on the compression stoke for #1 and the rotor at that same position. Set it to fire about 6 degrees BTDC and adjust timing while the motor is running.

-jbojo

jbobo emphasizes the need for TDC on compression stroke because the crank passes tdc twice for each rotation of the distributor. It is a common and easy mix up to get the rotor pointing 180 degrees off. So make sure you are on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke.

Back