Heater box/fan/motor? How do i get it out?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback (Factory sprint, but now a bright red Mach 1)
351c 2v(big ol cam, holley dominator intake, roller set, edelbrock 4bbl)

fmx
Hey guys, I flipped on the heater and I could hear the fan hitting against something in there.

At first I thought that something had fallen into the intake. But no.

I went in there to look at the fan and saw that it was rubbing in a spot behind the fan itself.

Im gonna have to take the motor out to fix it and from my understanding, this is a giant project.

where do i go to take out the motor?????

THANKS ALL YOU GURU'S:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I flipped on the heater and I could hear the fan hitting against something in there.

At first I thought that something had fallen into the intake. But no.

I went in there to look at the fan and saw that it was rubbing in a spot behind the fan itself.

Im gonna have to take the motor out to fix it and from my understanding, this is a giant project.

where do i go to take out the motor?????

THANKS ALL YOU GURU'S:D
AC or non-AC car?

Crowbar and blowtorch. :). Seriously, the dash will need to come out and then unhook the lines coming into it from the firewall, disconnect the cable from the fan switch, unbolt it from the firewall and pull the box. Not hard just a pain in the ass.

Take notes and pictures as you do it. This will save you time later.

in a non AC car the dash does not need to come out to remove the heater box. The glove box, does as does the passenger side fresh air vent, but these are easy and take only a few minutes to pull. It will be much easier to do if you remove the passenger side seat though.

I just pulled mine to replace the heater core and my issue was with the sheet metal in the kick panel area. This had bowed in and was applying force to the whole unit. It took patience and a crow bar to wiggle it out. When it was out a big rubber mallet removed the pressure that the sheet metal was applying and it went right in. I di not have to remove the entire dash but I did remove the glove box, vent and bolts holding the dash on the passenger side just to get a little more room to wiggle it all out.

Latest posts

Back