429 cj wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 SCJ Green
1971 CJ Pewter
1973 H-Code Copper
1967 Q-Code Galaxie
Ok guys, I have a 429 cj true survivor. It's missing a wire that goes to the electric vacuum ported switch that mounts on top of the thermostat housing and controls the vacuum to the vacuum advance on the distributor. I have the wire that goes into the firewall but missing the one that actually plugs in the vacuum ported switch. There is pictures of this wire on the 429 megasite under the ignition tab. The best I can tell its a California emissions thing.

Any help with this would be great. The original wire was in the toolbox when someone needed the tool box more than me.

Tim

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone help with this?
My car is restored but it is missing the part on the left in the photo. There is a metal plug screwed in the thermostat housing. Sorry, not any help from me.

Can anyone help with this?
My car is restored but it is missing the part on the left in the photo. There is a metal plug screwed in the thermostat housing. Sorry, not any help from me.
Thanks Mike, I am sure someone has a ford big block that will have this wire. It should be the same on any 71-72 big block car.

Tim

Just letting everyone know, I have fould the original wire and now my car is 100%. I can not believe that, this search was truly like looking for a needle in the hay stack.

Just letting everyone know, I have fould the original wire and now my car is 100%. I can not believe that, this search was truly like looking for a needle in the hay stack.
Great,

Glad to here that! You have to post some photos now. I would love to see it. Also would like to know your vin to see where it falls with mine. Mine was build 9/25/70, number 118495.

Did I say you need to post some photos!

Yeah,

I forgot to ask that. There is always a good story when looking for a rare part. We want the story and the photos. You only have one photo in your garage.

Well the wife and I decided to take a road trip to St. Louis looking parts for my 1973 sportroof. We stop at every salvage yard we could see and every time went though a town we were googling like crazy. All through Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri we found a few 71 & 73 but not one car that the wire would have come own. (Because it did not come on very many 429's).

While at the arch in St. Louis we found a car show and was talking to one guy that said he remembered someone else was looking for the same a few years ago in pennsivanina. Latter that night he sent me the post. Luckily for me the guy had his number on his post. I called him to ask if he had every found one. His post was from 2003 and guess what. After a couple of years with out any one replying he decided to have it reproduced. Then out of the blue someone called him that had it and he bought it. Long story short, He liked this new wire better so I was able to talk him into sailing it to me, the original wire that is... :)

Tim

Well the wife and I decided to take a road trip to St. Louis looking parts for my 1973 sportroof. We stop at every salvage yard we could see and every time went though a town we were googling like crazy. All through Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri we found a few 71 & 73 but not one car that the wire would have come own. (Because it did not come on very many 429's).

While at the arch in St. Louis we found a car show and was talking to one guy that said he remembered someone else was looking for the same a few years ago in pennsivanina. Latter that night he sent me the post. Luckily for me the guy had his number on his post. I called him to ask if he had every found one. His post was from 2003 and guess what. After a couple of years with out any one replying he decided to have it reproduced. Then out of the blue someone called him that had it and he bought it. Long story short, He liked this new wire better so I was able to talk him into sailing it to me, the original wire that is... :)

Tim
Great story Tim,

I am glad you found the wire. I have seen your post looking for that wire on numerous other sites using the same screen name. Guess the hunt is now over. You will find something else to look for now!

Have you tried to register you car on the 429 Megasite? Sure wish that site was active again.

Tim
Great story Tim,

I am glad you found the wire. I have seen your post looking for that wire on numerous other sites using the same screen name. Guess the hunt is now over. You will find something else to look for now!

Have you tried to register you car on the 429 Megasite? Sure wish that site was active again.

Tim

Great story Tim,

Done looking. Car is 100% original , except for the mufflers. Which I just took them off, yes of course I kept them. The 429 site is really week, I too wish it was active but, there is just not many 429 cars out there so I kinda understand why it's not more active.

How is your car coming alone? You are still welcome to come to austin anytime, if you have any questions about a 429 orginal car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen that before. Mine (Ram Air/4 Speed) looks like the other one. Attached is the page from the Ford Parts Catalog that shows both Ram Air and non-Ram Air setups.

volcat.jpg

Haven't seen that before. Mine (Ram Air/4 Speed) looks like the other one. Attached is the page from the Ford Parts Catalog that shows both Ram Air and non-Ram Air setups.

volcat.jpg
Not many of this cars had this wire. If it had not been verified though the 429 Megasite I would have thought something was not correct myself. The best I can tell it was a California emission thing. Not sure it was on this car because of the rodchester carb or auto transmission or ac or ram air. I can say it was like finding a needle in the hay stack. I must have looked like a deer in head lights, I could not believe my eyes. With all the searching I had not even seen anything close. Until it was there.

Rozz

Back