Help? '73 Mach 1, Not sure what to go for the paint and theme.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well let's do a poll too. Which theme do you prefer out of what I have said?

• Total voters

1973 Mustang Mach 1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
It is a project car for me since I am 17. It needs new interior and a new paint job. I plan to make it a daily driver that I can enjoy whenever I want to go for a drive.
Well, I've hit a small bump in my build. I don't know exactly what I want for the paint and theme on my 1973 Mach 1 Mustang. I'm only 18 and still in high school and am taking on the build myself. So it's pretty interesting. But here are the three themes that I can't decide between. But just like to hear some other thoughts. Reasons for each of the themes will be posted below them. And please feel free to criticize and give me ideas! All are welcome, I just need some good advice and ideas since I am doing this while I'm still in school and trying to stay focused.

More Detailed Look Than Before

What it is currently.

IMG_6887.JPG

Original Theme

1973_mustang_mach_1_q_code_351c___4v_matching_numbers_73_1971_71_72_1_lgw.jpg

Here's the closest picture to the original color I could find. All I would add is the Mach 1 Markings. I would try to find the correct Avocado interior or change to black if I can't find it.

Paint - Ivy Glow Metallic

I would add black Mach 1 marks.

Interior - Avocado

(Any parts replaced would be replaced with something close to the original.)

Lean and Mean

IMG_1417.JPG

Someone showed me this image of someone else car on this forum. And well I would do something similar to this. '73 Mach 1 markings of corse. And I would either go with a darker red but have more of a metallic appeal to it to make sparkle and stand out, or the candy apple red with a metallic appeal to it to make sparkle and stand out. The whole theme of the car would be based off of the Black and Red. So the gas cap would get changed, blacked out taillights, new multi-color halogen headlights. Red digital gauges, reoccurring black and red theme with a hint of red reflective carbon fiber.

Paint - Black Metallic

With a medium red metallic for Mach 1 marks.

Interior - Black and Red

(Any changed parts would be within the theme, black and red. And all old parts would be kept up with. Since I would give it some of a rest-mod interior on gauges.)

Air force

393240_180121065417636_1109914907_n.jpg

So there is the "Old Crow '73 Mustang Fastback." I would get the body polished so it would have the correct silver look, instead of the gray color on this one. Instead of the name being "Old Crow" I would put "Mach 1" in black letters outlined in a red color, a little brighter than what's on the "Old Crow" one. Also instead of Red and Yellow nose colors, black and red. I would keep the tail red, like the "Old Crow" one, but again brighter. The rest of the design of the car I would/will get with my pilot friend and come up with some designs. I would update a few things here and there, like my lean and mean theme, the interior would be fitted to me.

Paint - Painted like a P-51 Mustang.

Reasons

Original - Well you can't go wrong with the classic. I'll try to keep it as factory as possible, or as original as I bought it.

Lean and Mean - This was my initial theme, it's my personal thought. I just love how black and red reflect one another. The car would suit me well, all I know how to take care of are black cars. Staying in my element. Also with a few modifications, gauges, getting them digitalized to keep me more aware of what I am doing. It's a personal thing, I've (sadly) gotten use to the modern technology in cars.

Air Force - My family has a Air Force history. I am also very interested in the classic war planes. I'm also friends with Chuck Yeager, thanks to my mom and a history report. And I have a friend that fly's a restored P-51 Mustang for a foundation, along with a B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator. And I've seen a few photos of the "'73 Old Crow Mustang" and taken a liking to it. This theme would allow me to memorize some of my family that has served in the air force.

Bonus - No matter what, my friend that flies the P-51 is going to allow my '73 Mach 1 Mustang be parked next to his P-51 when they come to my hometown, as long as it gets painted and interior fixed up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my thoughts here.

You have 3 good choices with the last 2 being influenced by your own tastes and honoring family/friends. I would say go with what makes you happy. You are young and have plenty of time to change it as many times as you wish in the future. No one can tell you what is best or what should be done, we all have different likes/dislikes/personalities so do what makes you happy. After all you are the one that will be driving it. Good luck on your project!!!

-jbojo

I personally like your lean and mean theme. Just my personal preference though, remember to add some carbon fiber to your interior, I think that would go perfect with this theme! Good luck and let's see some pictures. Jbojo is dead on that you can change it as many times as you want in the future, I had mine in high school, it was viper blue back then, then it was dark charcoal metallic with black stripes, next is still undecided but underway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know its not your chosen look but I would love to see a fastback in Candy Red with gold Mach 1 striping, hood, etc. Would be wicked cool looking thing or at least in my mind it is.

I personally like your lean and mean theme. Just my personal preference though, remember to add some carbon fiber to your interior, I think that would go perfect with this theme! Good luck and let's see some pictures. Jbojo is dead on that you can change it as many times as you want in the future, I had mine in high school, it was viper blue back then, then it was dark charcoal metallic with black stripes, next is still undecided but underway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, I will be adding carbon fiber to it. And kind of a reflective red carbon fiber (a dark red).

Your car your choice.

for my 2 cents. You cannot beat a black car. Unless its a black car with a red interior :cool:

lean and mean gets my vote for what its worth
If I do black and red, it'll be black with red markings, and interior would be black as the main theme with red inserts on the seats. An with some red reflective carbon fiber. (Also red digital gauges)

Just my thoughts here.

You have 3 good choices with the last 2 being influenced by your own tastes and honoring family/friends. I would say go with what makes you happy. You are young and have plenty of time to change it as many times as you wish in the future. No one can tell you what is best or what should be done, we all have different likes/dislikes/personalities so do what makes you happy. After all you are the one that will be driving it. Good luck on your project!!!

-jbojo
I know. And that's my problem, I like them all. And they all have their own area of expenses. But in all, I like them all. Maybe I should just go find 2 more mustangs. Lol

I like a black car . I also like to see one a little different from everyone else's ! Bottom line is it's you that's gonna look at it every day , do what inspires you ! :D

I know its not your chosen look but I would love to see a fastback in Candy Red with gold Mach 1 striping, hood, etc. Would be wicked cool looking thing or at least in my mind it is.
Xoliex has a red one with good stripes. (Sorry Olie, I might have spelled your username wrong. Can't remember the number of "x"s. )

To the OP: Gold is a cool color for our cars, so you can't go wrong with it.

The lean and mean is a real good idea. Black looks sleek but takes a lot more prep work to get a blemish-free finish.

I remember when I did my car I spent weeks pondering colors and styles, making final decisions that were void three days later because I had a different idea.

If I had to do it again, I'd be lost once more. :)

I like a black car . I also like to see one a little different from everyone else's ! Bottom line is it's you that's gonna look at it every day , do what inspires you ! :D
It will be different, I know that.

Xoliex has a red one with good stripes. (Sorry Olie, I might have spelled your username wrong. Can't remember the number of "x"s. )

To the OP: Gold is a cool color for our cars, so you can't go wrong with it.

The lean and mean is a real good idea. Black looks sleek but takes a lot more prep work to get a blemish-free finish.

I remember when I did my car I spent weeks pondering colors and styles, making final decisions that were void three days later because I had a different idea.

If I had to do it again, I'd be lost once more. :)
That's where I'm at, I've 3 main choices but don't know exactly what I want to go with. I might get some renderings of them. And I know the troubles of black cars, we currently own 3.

I've updated what I originally said to add more detail since I wrote this post late last night. Now they go into more detail. Thanks so far for what everyone has said! I have tons of ideas, and plenty of time, but the sooner I get done, the sooner it'll be on the road and it'll get seen more.

Lean and Mean sounds good to me. Very clean and not over the top. One idea is "ghost stripes". Just a little different but not gaudy. I've always thought for styling, "less is more" (No badging, no spoilers, etc..)

I know that I can't just leave something alone - so, for that reason I wouldn't pick option 1. Also, the cost of keeping it original might actually be more than if you were to restomod it to something you prefer.

Initially, I would've leaned more toward option 3... but then you posted that pic of Old Crow and all I can think is, "Eewwww." (sorry... not a fan of that paint job)

So, here we are with option 2 - build it how you want to.

My car's going to have the right paint... but that's where things will stray somewhat from original. I'll be doing period-correct mods on mine with some mostly non-visible upgrades.

It's your car... it should be something that makes you happy - build it how you want to! ;) :D

I know that I can't just leave something alone - so, for that reason I wouldn't pick option 1. Also, the cost of keeping it original might actually be more than if you were to restomod it to something you prefer.

Initially, I would've leaned more toward option 3... but then you posted that pic of Old Crow and all I can think is, "Eewwww." (sorry... not a fan of that paint job)

My car's going to have the right paint... but that's where things will stray somewhat from original. I'll be doing period-correct mods on mine with some mostly non-visible upgrades.

It's your car... it should be something that makes you happy - build it how you want to! ;) :D
Option 1, all the parts I can salvage from the build, I am. So if I restomod anything, whatever is replaced will be kept up with.

Option 2, is really just letting me have a car, and putting what I believe the definition of cool is. So whatever I do will be something I wanted to do.

Option 3, I would actually have a pilot help me with the design. So it's not exactly like the Old Crow one, that one was painted after a real P-51, where mine wouldn't. It would be my creation. So none of the other emblems on the Old Crow one would be in the same place. For Example: The air force emblem would probably more centered, and have details that would be found on a real P-51. It's more of a creation to remember some of my friends and family that has went into the air force. The paint job would definitely be different than Old Crow.

Option 1, all the parts I can salvage from the build, I am. So if I restomod anything, whatever is replaced will be kept up with.

Option 2, is really just letting me have a car, and putting what I believe the definition of cool is. So whatever I do will be something I wanted to do.

Option 3, I would actually have a pilot help me with the design. So it's not exactly like the Old Crow one, that one was painted after a real P-51, where mine wouldn't. It would be my creation. So none of the other emblems on the Old Crow one would be in the same place. For Example: The air force emblem would probably more centered, and have details that would be found on a real P-51. It's more of a creation to remember some of my friends and family that has went into the air force. The paint job would definitely be different than Old Crow.
It sounds like you have a solid plan for whichever direction you decide to go - and that's one of the biggest things in your favor. ::thumb::

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

I say sand the original paint down and clearcoat the patina!

then use the extra money to build huge horsepower and give it some racy suspension pieces to make it handle like a gokart!!

BUUUT for the options given,

1 Original colors increase value (unless you paint it a grabber color)

2 Your car, i agree black on dark red is badass

3 that would be interesting! take in mind the cost though.

Take it from a fellow highschooler!

I like the air force idea. I wanted to do a fighter plane theme on one of my cars, but it will be a while before I can do that.

I say sand the original paint down and clearcoat the patina!

then use the extra money to build huge horsepower and give it some racy suspension pieces to make it handle like a gokart!!

BUUUT for the options given,

1 Original colors increase value (unless you paint it a grabber color)

2 Your car, i agree black on dark red is badass

3 that would be interesting! take in mind the cost though.

Take it from a fellow highschooler!
See I would be all for upgrading under the hood, but it's the original engine. If it wasn't I would just go crazy. But I might do a little upgrade here and there.

And I'm also a fan of the first gen Camaro and I may have found one at the college I'm going to. And well, if I get the Camaro, I will go nuts under the hood and everything. But this is my first project, so I'm getting a feel for things. And yeah my first car was a 2011 Camaro, but when my mom asked me originally "what kind of car do you want?" I would always say "a mustang." And well the first car I bought and has my name on it is a Mustang! What do you know!?

The dark Green and the Black will both take extra body work effort to make the car straight enough to look right.

The polished steel look will take a ton of metalwork to look right. Metalwork is tons more tedious and expensive tham body work.

Of the 3 choices, Black with Red gets my nod. Its got classic looks with a twist.

Back