Looking for ideas on 'retro' switch/indicator lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
The Gearvendors overdrive includes a toggle switch and small red/green indicator lights. I finally decided to install them on my shift selector cover to the right of the selector itself. I figured they were for the transmission, so it made sense and my cover is aftermarket so I wasn't drilling holes into an original piece.

Overall I like them there but I don't like the look. They look too modern. So I am looking for some ideas on options. I poked around the web a little. Slider switches in cars seemed pretty popular. Or a switch similar to a power window type switch might be a good choice. (It's just a simple on/off switch)

And I was thinking for indicator something more similar to the park indicator in this picture:

1973_00045_04.jpg

Maybe get them to say 'auto' and 'manual' or something like that.

So any suggestions are welcome.

Later today I will post up a picture of what it looks like now.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I don't have the particulars - a good friend built a Sunbeam Alpine race car and used factory Roots switches but renamed them using architectual lettering available at any architectual supply so. He just had them match the fonts and it looked very much period correct.

You might look at switches offered for Ford trucks - including up to the big 9000 series. They had many switch requirements and they should look very 'period correct'. If you have a truck salvage close by - could be worth a visit - just for ideas.

If you don't use the ashtray in that 'consolette', could you put something stealthy in there? I would be concerned about the wires sliding and pulling as you opened it to use... Or maybe hide small switches on the firewall edge of that piece?

Ray

Let us know what you come up with. I'm looking for a switch solution to replace the Defroster switch bezel that will control some driving lights I plan on adding (I actually have a spare "Lights" bezel, as well). I plan on re-using the stock LED [from the defroster circuit] as well.

Actually, I am considering putting the switch in the console ash tray. It's not like I will be using it all of the time. here is a bad picture of what I have now:

The switch and lights just don't look right. And maybe I will decide in the long run I don't need the indicator lights. But I am looking for any creative ideas you guys have.

found this idea. Certainly looks the part. The benzel has the wrong words but I like the idea.

etruckswitch.jpg

This style would probably work. These are not on/off but the look is 'correct'

1000231_(6)-1028.jpg

Actually, I am considering putting the switch in the console ash tray. It's not like I will be using it all of the time. here is a bad picture of what I have now:
will e,

I put mine in the console ashtray. Just made a mounting plate for it and it's hidden when I close the cover.

-jbojo

IMG_2512.JPG

How do you like it? how often do you use the switch? How much do you need to 'see' the indicator lights?

I only have 12 miles on my GV so I don't know yet what kind of input I need. ;)

How do you like it? how often do you use the switch? How much do you need to 'see' the indicator lights?

I only have 12 miles on my GV so I don't know yet what kind of input I need. ;)
My car is not on the road yet. I plan to keep it in auto mode most of the time so I won't have to see the indicators at all. If how I understand auto works it will drive like a 4 speed tranny.

My short test drive included an 'auto mode' trial. In my tests, getting on it a little, it would switch into OD with the car still in second gear.

So first gear, second gear, second over and then third over. I was very satisfactory and smooth. It shifted out of OD as I hit around 20 mph. In auto mode the indicator lights are red if it is not engauged, green if it is.

I believe I am really going to like this upgrade. I am having some fun trying to decide if I hide the switch or come up with with something totally retro. If I keep it on the shift indicator then I am not harming any original parts. I now have another 'mission' when looking at swap meet stuff.

So first gear, second gear, second over and then third over. I was very satisfactory and smooth. It shifted out of OD as I hit around 20 mph. In auto mode the indicator lights are red if it is not engauged, green if it is.
Correct me if I am wrong here:

The switch puts you in Manual or Auto mode. When the switch shows red and the red indicator is on you are in auto. The green light indicates when the GV is in overdrive.

If the switch is off, the red indicator is off, the GV is in manual and shifting to OD is done by the foot switch. Does the green light come on when the GV is in OD in manual mode?

Correct me if I am wrong here:

The switch puts you in Manual or Auto mode. When the switch shows red and the red indicator is on you are in auto. The green light indicates when the GV is in overdrive.

If the switch is off, the red indicator is off, the GV is in manual and shifting to OD is done by the foot switch. Does the green light come on when the GV is in OD in manual mode?
Correct, in Auto mode it appears the green or red light is always illuminated and indicates if you are in OD or not. Near as I can tell if you are in auto/OD/green and you hit the foot switch you drop of out OD and the red light is illuminated.

I am still trying to figure out manual mode indicators.

Thx will e,

I am still a couple of months away before I can hit the road. The interior is still gutted and I am finishing up the engine work now. After you have more miles on the GV let me know if you experience any issues with it. Good luck on the hunt for retro parts.

-jbojo

How about a second high beam switch mounted on the floor. It would be well hidden, intuitive to use, and cheap.

If you needed a indicator light you could mount something retro looking in the elusive belt indicator location on the dash down by your left knee.

One could add a light under the lowest gear on the shift selector. When driving the (D) would be lit as normal as well as the 2nd light for the GV unit. A bright red LED would be visible even in daylight. When was the last time you had your car in (1)?

If it is going into a 73 you could hijack the bulb in the seat belt indicator above the glove box.

Retro engineering is fun!

- Paul

My '97 Ram has electronic overdrive (very much like the GV units you guys have). By default, it's always in Auto mode and there's an 'O/D Off' momentary button on the dash board - when it's engaged, the LED lights up and poof... no more O/D. But here's where the technology really shines: the BCM puts the O/D back into Auto mode the next time the car is started.

I don't suppose the GV unit would work that way - if so, then your cool retro power window switch should do the trick. Just wire up one side and you're there.

I kinda like the idea of putting the green 'Auto' LED next to (or across from) the 'D' on the indicator, and put the red 'Manual' LED up on the dash board somewhere so you don't have to look away to actually see it. That way if you see the red light, you'll know immediately that O/D is off. There are a couple of great spots in the upper corners of the instrument cluster trim bezel - the one to the upper right of the speedometer would be fairly unnoticeable (except to you) as well. You could mount the LED to the metal dashboard, and make a small hole in the plastic - so if you had to get into the dashboard, you wouldn't have to hassle with removing the LED each time you pulled the plastic trim.

As for the switch - I like the ashtray idea as well. The dashboard seems so far away - having the switch closer to the shifter is a capital idea. ::thumb::

It seems 'knobs' were popular. I saw the thread on the cigar lighter removal. Maybe I would swap out the cigar lighter for a 'knob' switch that looks like the others. Get a benzel made that says 'auto'/'manual'. Or mount it on the console below the shifter, between the shifter and ash tray.

I don't know yet how important the indicator lights are to everyday driving so I will keep my mind open on what to do. I am going to leave it the way it is for a bit till I get used to driving it.

I have the floor mounted foot switch for controlling into/out of OD (It acts different depending on if the other switch is in manual or auto mode)

From the short drive I had. I think in 'auto' mode either the red or green light is always on and indicates if the OD is off/on.

In manual mode there were times neither light was on. The green light always when OD was on. The red light sometimes. For example, from a park I hit the floor switch and the red light came on. Once I got enough pump pressure the OD shifted and the green light came on. I will have to mess with it some more. The instructions are not clear.

Oh heck yeah - a nice knob switch where the cigarette light goes is a great idea! ::thumb:: Totally stock-looking, and not tough to do, either.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. :D

Oh heck yeah - a nice knob switch where the cigarette light goes is a great idea! ::thumb:: Totally stock-looking, and not tough to do, either.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. :D
+1 Ultra cool.

Ray

This has me thinking seriously of wiring up an ignition switch using this:

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/k4s13-221.html

and this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9278

Put in the key, put it in run, flip up the cover, switch on, and push up to crank. :)
I actually got a bunch of those (various switches with 'missile launcher covers') with my ebay center console. The console has a ton of holes in the upright surface in front of the box where those switches and lights were mounted (a la James Bond style). The ebay story was hilarious, so I bought the console. The seller also sent me a carefully trimmed box portion that I could graft onto the console - but I think I'll probably come up with something different, since I'm going to put the power window and lock switches there anyway.

Latest posts

Back