7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
79 Ranchero
79 Corvette
2014-01-13 13.54.27.jpg2014-01-13 13.54.45.jpgIt’s great to find a group of guys (and gals) that also like the 71 -73 Mustangs. It seems like most old Mustang guys go for the pre 70’s and kind of look at the 71-73’s as an ugly stepchild. I love them.

The first care I ever bought new from a dealer was a 1973 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland 4V-HO with all the buttons and bows. The picture I have posted as an avatar is not of my actual car as many of us back then didn’t carry cameras with us much but it was the best likeness I could find.

I recently had the opportunity to pick up a green 72 Mach 1 from a guy in Las Vegas. When I showed the 3 pictures I had of it to my wife she said she didn’t know that they every made such an ugly Mustang. I was crushed, but being the head strong guy I am I went to Vegas and bought it anyway. Thankfully when I brought it home she thought it was a pretty cool car. Thank God!!! She could have crushed my dreams or remaking my old 73. Now she’s behind the rebuild (doesn’t want to spend the money but also doesn’t make all of the decisions when it comes to toys).

My wife is a 4’11” red headed Frenchwomen and when she puts her foot down you better not have yours beneath it!! In 2003 I built a pro-street custom V-Twin motorcycle. When I brought it home from the shop she jumped right on it and realized her feet couldn’t reach the forward mounted foot controls. I said “O Darn” and left it at that. When I brought home the 79 Corvette she did the same thing with the same results and again I had the same “O Darn” response. I know she won’t be able to drive the Mustang and I’m beginning to think this little gal just might be giving me enough rope to hang myself. Now my main question is…… How many ropes can I have?

Back to the point…. I want to turn this 72 into a 73 clone and I’m intent on getting that done. Any help and advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site from Virginia. Great introduction. My wife still does not like my 73 convert because I bought from my high school sweetheart back in 74, but she tolerates it.

Not too many differences to make it into a 73 clone, of course the grille is different; but the biggest challenge would be changing to the 73 urethane front bumper. Different front fenders were used to fit the contour of the bumper. The rear bumper also has a filler piece and different bumper brackets so the bumper sticks our further to meet the new federally mandated impact requirements. The 73 Mach 1 has different side stripes from the 72's also. The tail lights on the 73's do not have the black accent around the lens either.

I'm sure other will chime in with other differences.

Enjoy the sight and feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome from the land of snow - Northeast Ohio

I understand how a wife can affect a man's hobby. My wife is not a car person, she feels that a car is getting from point A to point B, no more no less. One tip I've found to help make your new toy purchases less pain full is to buy something for her non car related. After purchasing a 1966 Mustang convertible years ago that she felt was my mistress, I purchased her a past, present, future ring. Although I did not score any points by telling her, "There, we're even, that ring cost more than my ragtop". Needless to say I do not change toys very often.

Mac

Welcome to the site from Virginia. Great introduction. My wife still does not like my 73 convert because I bought from my high school sweetheart back in 74, but she tolerates it.

Not too many differences to make it into a 73 clone, of course the grille is different; but the biggest challenge would be changing to the 73 urethane front bumper. Different front fenders were used to fit the contour of the bumper. The rear bumper also has a filler piece and different bumper brackets so the bumper sticks our further to meet the new federally mandated impact requirements. The 73 Mach 1 has different side stripes from the 72's also. The tail lights on the 73's do not have the black accent around the lens either.

I'm sure other will chime in with other differences.

Enjoy the sight and feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks for the input. I was looking at the front bumper and thought there was a difference but couldn'd quite figure it out.

Welcome from the Gulf Coast.
Do ya think the person you bought it from might be the "rub"? Duhhhhhh. Just an observation....

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from South Carolina. I can relate to the whole redhead thing. I've dated one almost 10 years. But we're not married so I get what ever toys I want! ;)

Welcome from West Texas! Nice car! ::thumb::

I honestly can't imagine why you'd want to turn a '72 into a '73 (or why anyone would want to go back the other way, either), since there's a ton of stuff involved even just swapping the grille and front/rear bumpers. The difference in front bumper/fenders was mentioned, but there's also some spacers and rear bumper mounts to consider as well.

It sounds like it will be a fun project, regardless... and I'm not trying to discourage or anything. I just think it might be easier to find a '73 and maybe work a trade. Then it's just a matter of adding the things you want to make it nice.

Good luck! This site and these guys are the best place for all things '71-'73 Mustang!

I'm not objectionable to getting a 73 but couldn’t find one while I was looking, If anyone out here has a 73 especially with ginger interior, I’d love to hear from you. If you’re looking for a 72, I have one…:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I didn't put you off, Mike - we're glad to have you here, and whatever you decide to do with your car will be worth it in the end. The guys here will have all sorts of input to help you along the way and it'll be fun to see it come together.

Just to give you an idea of my effort so far - my '71 was so rusty I should've given up on it and got a better car to work on. But, despite everything stacked up against me, I cut the front clip off a '72, welded it back on, and went from there. Now, I have more invested than if I would've just bought a really nice car and changed a few things.

The guys here are some of the best when it comes to advice and encouragement. I don't think you'll find a better group of cheerleaders anywhere. We're nothing like VMF, or some of the other Mustang forums dedicated to common trend of hatin' on everything but the '64.5-'70s. ;) :D

Anyway, like I said - I hope I didn't rub you the wrong way, especially since I stepped off with the wrong foot in your 'Welcome' thread.

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Be sure to drop a pin on our member map under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

I've got a lot of 73 parts I'm nt going to use. I'll send you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back