What is your favorite non-Ford muscle car?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

I know some of you are die-hard Ford-guys and would never consider any other brand, but I know everyone here is not that way.

I like Fords best, but I really like all cars as long as they strike me as something interesting, I dont care what brand they are. As long as they ardn't VWs...those flat suck.

I had a '72.Hurst/Olds convertible for many years and that car was pretty awesome. The big "Rocket 455" Olds motor was awesome, definitely lived up to its "Velvet Brute" nickname. The Turbo400 trans was rock-solid and bullet-proof, and the GM suspension guys were miles ahead of Ford and Chrysler in the early 70s...that car handled amazingly well.

Other than my Mustang, that was my other favorite muscle car car of mine.

Last edited:
I know ill get shit for it, but i think that a camaro is a pretty sweet car. i also like the late 60s barracudas. theyre not super fast or handle that amazing but theyre just plain good looking. Fastbacks just look good. I also like a 68 charger, just as long as it isnt a general lee.(not that i wouldnt take one) :)

Speaking of 68-70 Chargers, that car is (to me, anyway) simply one of the most beautiful, perfectly-designed cars ever made...it is gorgeous from every angle. Cant take a bad picfure of one. Even the cheap-shit, entry-level "salesman" versions looked fantastic.

Bill Brownlie, the designer should have a statue in his likeness in the muscle-car hall of fame.

I have several favorites:

1967-69 Firebird

1969-on Trans Am

1970-75 Dodge Challenger

1971-74 Road Runner (non Superbird)

1971-74 Dodge Charger

1971-74 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

1970-76 Duster

1967-74 AMC Javelin & AMX

1967-92 Camaro Z-28 & IROC-Z

1972 Gran Torino

1969-72 GTO

1969-73 Chevelle & Malibu

1968-74 Nova

I'm sure there are a few others that I can't think of right now.

I guess the Challenger is my favorite... and if I could've found one of those cheap enough, my membership on this site would pretty much be non-existent. I guess the new Challengers driving up the price of the classic models made a difference, eh? ;) :D

I am willing to bet that if ANY of you took a test drive in one of those cars you would come running back to your 7173 Mustang fast! Unless given a full pro-tour treatment most of them drive like sh1t. Most people know that our cars drove/handled SO much better than all the other muscle cars available at the time. That is why mustangs got away with less HP than the ratings on gm and mopar, because our cars could actually be driven. Ask Frank Bullet. Heh heh. That being said, i had an uncle that owned a 1970 chevelle convert, it was a light greet metallic with a white top and interior. The 1970 is the 4 headlight car, and it had a glass rear window with electric windows and A/C. It didnt have any stripes but i recall it had the large chrome rear bumper with dual exhaust. I was only 6-7 yrs old but it made a hellava impression on me obviously. Seemed like a muscle car in upscale respectable livery. I doubt now if it had a cowl induction or a 454 because i dont recal SS on the car, but even with a 350 SBC im sure it was a good car. Sure looked like the world to a little kid!

My 71 Camaro SS/RS..Just a pleasure to drive (non stock suspension) Every time I'm done driving it I can't get over how well it drives how much fun it is..

101_0349.JPG101_0350.JPG101_0351.JPG

Ok you mentioned Non stock suspension, so that makes a difference. And also , it is a split bumper camaro? The car is equal to a 63 split window vette for camaro folks. So you got one of the most collectble camaros!

Ok you mentioned Non stock suspension, so that makes a difference. And also , it is a split bumper camaro? The car is equal to a 63 split window vette for camaro folks. So you got one of the most collectble camaros!
Yes a true split bumper rs option..Whats makes it even rarer is its a true SS/RS most people ether got the ss option or the rs option BUT you could get both if you wanted..This car is just that..Didn't I show it to you when you were here ?

I am going to disagree that our Mustangs are vastly superior to other popular muscle cars of the 60s and 70s.

I love Fords, and in particular Mustangs, the best...but there were many equally-nice riding, handling and performing muscle cars from the big three, as well as AMC.

I have owned many cars over the years (50+), and at least 50% of them were one of detroits classic muscle cars.

Mustsngs, Cougars, Torinos, Camaros, Firebirds, Cutlasses, AMXs, Javelins, a Charger, a 300, Tbirds, Lincolns, Rivieras, a Toronado, etc...

They all have thier own personalities and charms, yet none was clearly better overall than any other.

Just mass-produced American-made product.

My List is Huge.

HT-HG Monaro. Aussie car

L34/A9X Torana. Aus car

Valiant Charger. Aus car

Buick GSX

70 Olds 442 or any other 442

69 Firebird

61 pontiac ventura

63 "swiss cheese 421 Sd"

Any SD Trans Am

70 chevelle

70 Monte Carlo ss 454

70-73 challenger

70-73 Cuda

Any Super bee

69 Roadrunner

68-70 Dodge Charger

But the LS6 Chevelle is the 1 followed my 69 Bee. I would take these over and above any thing ford or mercury I would have to say

Last edited by a moderator:
67 Camero, had one, 327, Muncie M-22, just plain ole bad! Shouldn't have sold it

70 Roadrunner Superbird, just freakishly bad

68 Chevelle, got me lovin' hotrods as it passed me everyday as I walked home from school and it sounded wicked, had a 327

65 GTO, had a Lemans clone

63 - 67 Nova II, light and fast

69-70 Buick GSX, a friend had an awesome one

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy. The very sexy body and curves of a 1968 Olds Cutlass 442 convertible.

oldsmobile-00017-1.jpg

oldsmobile-00017-2.jpg

oldsmobile-00017-3.jpg

My list...

70-74 camaro (square back glass) I own a 74 Z28

70-74 challenger

70-74 cuda

68 charger (love the tail lights)

68-72 chevelle

68-74 442

Easy to see that I like big body muscle

Back