72 Grande on eBay...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpd1821

Reaction score
My Car
On the hunt for mine
Ok so this is pretty much what I'm looking for... Anybody here give me any insight as to what they see... What would be a good price for this car?

Look at this on eBay:

Ford : Mustang Grande

http://bit.ly/1gruYaW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO, it's already past what it's worth. the car has major rust issues, but if you can replace frame rails, and sheet metal yourself then you could probably save it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I figured it was kinda close... I have a friend that can do sheet metal... And I figured I will use my next car to learn some myself too. But why do work you don't have to...

While this is not quite a stellar example, I strongly disagree with the "rotted framerail" assessment. The rusted section under the trunk is NOT a framerail; it is the forward gas tank strap hanger, which bears no structural load other than the gas tank itself.

The hanger is a reproduced part. They are a pain to install onto '71-73 Mustangs equipped with competition suspension (yet, doable), but this one has stock suspension. Anyone armed with a MIG welder, spot weld cutter, and a spare weekend can replace it. Shoot it with spray-on 3M undercoating (don't forget to shoot the inside) and forget about it.

Granted, Q will have my neck for suggesting anything short of epoxy primer to seal it, but it'll do for the driveway guy who doesn't want to kill himself - and his neighbors - spraying isocyanide paint all over the place. Either way, it'll be a hell an improvement over its current state.

HOWEVER - those quarter panel patches are something else. Again, replacing them is doable, but a much bigger disaster to deal with than that fiddly gas tank hanger. Left front apron looks suspect too; I'd expect to find rust on the rear aprons and upper rails if the fenders were pulled. It's a project, but not nearly as bad as some of us have had it here.

I'd say it is worth the $2.5k, though it is heading a bit too far up in price for my tastes. Just the same - given the salted roads up there - cheaper choices may not come this good everyday.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kurt... Decisions, decisions... Compared to what I've seen since I started looking this has been probably the best example. A complete and pretty good shape interior. I've only been able to find about 10 coupes for sale... And they have mostly been too far gone or at the opposite spectrum restored and too much money for my blood. And truthfully I don't want a restored car anyway... But I don't want something that is going to take forever to get me on the road either. I don't intend to keep it stock so I don't want fully restored and numbers matching doesn't matter to me in this case. Guess the best thing I can do is just practice patience I've waited almost 20 yrs to find another one... What's a few more months

Thanks Kurt... Decisions, decisions... Compared to what I've seen since I started looking this has been probably the best example. A complete and pretty good shape interior. I've only been able to find about 10 coupes for sale... And they have mostly been too far gone or at the opposite spectrum restored and too much money for my blood. And truthfully I don't want a restored car anyway... But I don't want something that is going to take forever to get me on the road either. I don't intend to keep it stock so I don't want fully restored and numbers matching doesn't matter to me in this case. Guess the best thing I can do is just practice patience I've waited almost 20 yrs to find another one... What's a few more months
If you have a MIG welder, get this one, drop the tank, put in the replacement hanger, and forget about the rest. Just enjoy it.

FYI, this is what the hanger looks like from the top on a competition suspension car:

71_mustang_89.jpg

-Kurt

Back