Ignition: Upgrading Points

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
The time has come to change out the points for something more modern and reliable. What do you guys recommend for replacing the points? The Mach1 has a nice Dizzy, cap and rotor, new plugs and wires. Mainly just need to loose the points! I'm thinking Pertronix but I'd like to hear some ideas.

I went with the Pertronix conversion kit in my 472 (Ice) and have been very satisfied with the results. You may recall that it is a relatively "mild" build. I am going totally MSD for the 545 stroker (Fire).

BT

I get confused over all the different kits...Ignitor, Ignitor II & Ignitor III? I think Ignitor II looks ideal for my application. Ignitor III looks a little too " New Fangled" for me! LOL

I went with a fully electronic system from ICE Ignition upon the advice of my engine builder. He showed me dyno runs for my engine with a Petronix and then with the ICE system. I left ~30 hp on the table with the Petronix. Keep in mind that for lightly modified engines, a Petronix is all that is needed.

Mike

I have had the ignitorII for a long time and have had no trouble at all. I have a pertronics distributer now. Can't remember the features right off hand. I do know it's tall and gets into the air cleaner. machman

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I looked at some of the HEI kits but definitely too tall. I just need a kit to replace the points. Everything fits under the dist. cap.

If you are looking for reliability it's hard to beat the Ford Duraspark. I'm running one with an old Motorsports / MSD ignition box. I see no reason you could not use the original Duraspark box. The guys I crew for used the duraspark distributor in a stock eliminator car before upgrading to an MSD billet distributor.

i used to run a pertronix setup in my stock dist for my 71. only problem was I didnt realize you couldnt use certain coils with the kit and kept frying different parts. lesson learned. I now run an msd pro billet distributor with a 6al box and a msd coil... absolutely NO problems

avoid the pertronix III the tach signal won't work with the OEM tach in the dash if you have one.

the pertronix I works fine.

the pertronix II has a microchip that controls the Dwell on start up to help with cold starting.

the pertronix III has a microchip that controls the dwell on start up and has a rev limiter, and uses a new type of magnetic pickup for the ignition switching signal.

personally i saw no difference between the I and II installed on my car, i currently have a II installed for the last 1.5 years with no issues (knock on wood)

didn't see a difference when i ran points either other then constantly adjusting the dwell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back