Header Choices for BBF 73 stang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302fox

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback, 429 BBF, C6, 9 inch Posi. Under construction
1994 Mustang GT, 302, Tremec, 373's, Black Bullitts, Daily Beater
Hey guys.. got my first question... Well The car has headers on it, look to be older hooker headers, well as all hookers do there rusty.. I would love to just replace them but the only decently priced headers are the same ones painted black. I feel that would not be much of a improvement to the car. Is there any custom header builder than any of you know. I see on some sites they have header kits where u make your own. But Im not sure if im up for that task just yet with my mig welder haha. I dont mind spending 500 for a set but I want them to not rust quite as fast as hookers do... Im soo used to 302-351 headers being 150-250 a set haha

As far as headers go if you don't want them to rust get ceramic coated. I have hooker competition headers ceramic coated and they still look like they are out of the box .chrome plating will eventually chip off, paint will burn off ceramic will stay forever. {or as close to forever as possible hahaha}

The brand you get is up to you but I believe that if you want your headers to last the extra money on ceramic coated headers is worth the price. They last longer and will keep your engine bay at a lower temperature.

if your headers are soild with no rot holes or deep rust, you could always send them out to have them "jet hot" coated. basically ceramic coated. You'd have them bead blasted first and then send em out. There alot of places that do the coating. Talk to a powdercoater local to you, chances are they do it or they have someone that does. That's what we do with all the race 'vettes and baldwin motion cars that come into the shop for full restos.

Im looking for headers for a BB also. I have looked at the ceramic coated and they are expensive! My biggest concern is how low they hang. When I had a 351C in the car with Hedman full length headers they hung really low. I would love to find some shorty headers that would work but cant find anything other than full length. I thought an added bonus with shorties would be that they would be cheaper in ceramic but......have to find some first

Im looking for headers for a BB also. I have looked at the ceramic coated and they are expensive! My biggest concern is how low they hang. When I had a 351C in the car with Hedman full length headers they hung really low. I would love to find some shorty headers that would work but cant find anything other than full length. I thought an added bonus with shorties would be that they would be cheaper in ceramic but......have to find some first
FPA has a mid length header. That's what I run.

I am not sure you can jet hot coat the Hooker Headers? Mine are 3 piece on either side and I wonder how well they would go together with a coating on the pipes? Anybody get their Hooker Headers coated?

Do you have a link for FPA? I hate how low the Hookers hang under the front end.

I am not sure you can jet hot coat the Hooker Headers? Mine are 3 piece on either side and I wonder how well they would go together with a coating on the pipes? Anybody get their Hooker Headers coated?

Do you have a link for FPA? I hate how low the Hookers hang under the front end.
try this

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers1.htm

i had crites headers which are slip on tubes to the collector and they eventually leaked and do hang 4 inches off of the ground. with the leak however it does sound aggressive and like a race car but who cares really though.

i now have the FPA headers and are leakless and have maximum ground clearance. however, #7 tube is only like 2 pieces of paper away from rubbing the steering box. and sometimes i can hear or feel it rubbing when driving or on cold starts. i am about to take her to a exhaust shop and have them hear up the tube and dent her up. and of course just suffer the loss of flow in the tube but oh well huh.

Back