• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Gas cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If anyone has an original pop open gas cap like the one in the photo, I am interested. Feel free to message me, and really would like to find one in nice condition. I know where one is New Old Stock, but I can't justify paying the $300 asking price for it, lol.

$(KGrHqFHJFQFJmghM1G5BScnMnc-f!~~60_3.JPG

Most pop-opens are not original, even if it came in a Ford box with a Ford part #. The original caps were discontinued during the 71 model year, and a soft recall was done for owners to "fix" thier cars by swapping the Mach 1 cap for the regular spin-on cap. Apparently the caps did indeed pop open....especially in rear-end collisions, allowing fuel to easily be ejected.

The NOS caps were LONG GONE for many years, until Ford reintroduced them as a replacement part in the early 90's...with an "update": an internal screw-on cap was added inside the ornamental flip-cover for safety reasons.

Enterprising aftermarket suppliers provided parts to convert the new version back into a 100% correct copy of the original version, but then the mounting bosses molded into the inside of the flip-lid on the new cap, neccesary to mount the retro parts was removed on updated versions so the conversion parts could no longer be easily attached.

Most of the caps today are the new versions.

In all my years of ownership, the three most difficult parts of these cars to collect were traditionally the gas cap, the 71-72 sport grill and the 71-72 eurathane bumper.

The gas cap and grill made glorious comebacks years ago...where is that damn repro eurathane bumper we are all waiting for?

I wonder how the repro caps are. I have a ford one but I ended up taking all all of the grayer material around the rivets off with layoff so the whole thing is chrome now. It looks great but not original any more.

I did not realize the original caps didn't have the little internal cap. I picked up a 'new' repo cap about a year ago and got it all installed and thought tom myself that stupid little hard to grab onto poor excuse for a gas cap is a really bad design. Now I understand it had to be that way (for the repo).

Most pop-opens are not original, even if it came in a Ford box with a Ford part #. The original caps were discontinued during the 71 model year, and a soft recall was done for owners to "fix" thier cars by swapping the Mach 1 cap for the regular spin-on cap. Apparently the caps did indeed pop open....especially in rear-end collisions, allowing fuel to easily be ejected.

The NOS caps were LONG GONE for many years, until Ford reintroduced them as a replacement part in the early 90's...with an "update": an internal screw-on cap was added inside the ornamental flip-cover for safety reasons.

Enterprising aftermarket suppliers provided parts to convert the new version back into a 100% correct copy of the original version, but then the mounting bosses molded into the inside of the flip-lid on the new cap, neccesary to mount the retro parts was removed on updated versions so the conversion parts could no longer be easily attached.

Most of the caps today are the new versions.

In all my years of ownership, the three most difficult parts of these cars to collect were traditionally the gas cap, the 71-72 sport grill and the 71-72 eurathane bumper.

The gas cap and grill made glorious comebacks years ago...where is that damn repro eurathane bumper we are all waiting for?
I myself am also wondering where that dang repro urethane bumper is! It would look so nice on my coupe!

If anyone has an original pop open gas cap like the one in the photo, I am interested. Feel free to message me, and really would like to find one in nice condition. I know where one is New Old Stock, but I can't justify paying the $300 asking price for it, lol.
I think I still have one sitting on a 71 Mach 1 down at the garage. Let me run down today and get some pictures.

Here is a picture of the one on the car and then the back of it. It is an Autolite - D1ZA. I am also attaching pictures of four more that I have for myself, two are Autolite, ans 2 are 72 Motorcrafts. You can see the pictures of the backs between the two.

I think I still have one sitting on a 71 Mach 1 down at the garage. Let me run down today and get some pictures.
View attachment 18807

View attachment 18808

View attachment 18809

View attachment 18810

View attachment 18811

View attachment 18812

View attachment 18813

View attachment 18814

Here is a picture of the one on the car and then the back of it. It is an Autolite - D1ZA. I am also attaching pictures of four more that I have for myself, two are Autolite, ans 2 are 72 Motorcrafts. You can see the pictures of the backs between the two.

Those motorcraft ones seem nice...can you send me a PM on what it would be for me.to own one of those?...and possibly to ship both the shroud and the cap together.

Thank you for checking.

Sorry for the confusion, what I mean't to say is that those four are my personal ones for my restoration of my four 71 429 cars. The only one I have for sale is the one that I took off the green car in the first couple of pictures. I will send you a seperate message on the shroud. Mike

Those motorcraft ones seem nice...can you send me a PM on what it would be for me.to own one of those?...and possibly to ship both the shroud and the cap together.

Thank you for checking.

Sorry for the confusion, what I mean't to say is that those four are my personal ones for my restoration of my four 71 429 cars. The only one I have for sale is the one that I took off the green car in the first couple of pictures. I will send you a seperate message on the shroud. Mike

Thank you for checking.

Oh, gotcha.

Thanks.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone have or know where id be able to buy just the twist on gas cap fron the new repop style pop open caps? I have an older pop open from a swap, but it doesnt have the gas cap, and the rubber is too far away from the tank to seal it that way

Back