Annoying Sliding Ash Tray!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang Mach 1, 429CJ, J Code SOLD 3/2016

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
From Kim Miller Collection
I was out this afternoon for a nice Sunday drive and have noticed since I got the car the ash tray cover will not stay closed. When I take off it slides open. When I brake for a red light or stop sign it closes. It is very annoying and I am sure it is not supposed to do that.

Am I missing a part or is there something that I can do to stop the sliding back and forth constantly? Anyone else have this problem? It is the factory console I am talking about, not the mini console. Minor problem but it is very irritating after a while.

Your car is haunted by a ghost who smokes.....

True story bro......

- Paul

I was out this afternoon for a nice Sunday drive and have noticed since I got the car the ash tray cover will not stay closed. When I take off it slides open. When I brake for a red light or stop sign it closes. It is very annoying and I am sure it is not supposed to do that.

Am I missing a part or is there something that I can do to stop the sliding back and forth constantly? Anyone else have this problem? It is the factory console I am talking about, not the mini console. Minor problem but it is very irritating after a while.
Check the Teflon slides, I'll bet they are broken at the screw holes where they attach.

-jbojo

When I bought mine, there was a commemorative coin glued to the top to stop that. I assume you have the full console. I took it apart and applied mild pressure to make it bind a bit and it now stays in place just fine.

If you remove the console you can drop the ashtray assembly out. There are 2 metal tangs attached to the cover that run underneath the nylon guides. Remove the lid and tighten the tangs lightly with a pair of pliers and reinstall the cover. I did it to mine... works great now.

If you remove the console you can drop the ashtray assembly out. There are 2 metal tangs attached to the cover that run underneath the nylon guides. Remove the lid and tighten the tangs lightly with a pair of pliers and reinstall the cover. I did it to mine... works great now.
Thanks,

I will pull the console and see about pulling the console and tighting the tangs a bit. Once I get it off and see it I am sure I can figure it out.

Mine does the same thing, probably not as bad. When I take off it opens about half way, I've gotten into the habit of looking down and just shutting it. I find myself doing it driving my other cards too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ha ha, mine does the same thing!
+1 here. If I recall correctly, one of the white plastic slides is broken on mine. I added some thick white grease to mine, which added friction and that helped keep the sliding open to a minimum.

ha ha, mine does the same thing!
It's supposed to be like that, Will. It's easy access to your Gear Vendors Overdrive Switch of Awesomeness, approved by the Board of James Bondish Center Console Gadgets (Major Boothroyd, Quartermaster).

-Kurt

I think there is a huge misconception about what that thing really is. What you refer to as "ashtray" is a very early analog version of a fuel efficiency meter.

If it slides open when you accelerate, it means you're stepping on the gas too hard.

Because it always needs resetting by braking it was deemed unpractical and was later replaced by green and red lights.

On preproduction cars, the empty space under the sliding door used to contain a sign reading "Hey, easy man!" but that never made it into production because test drivers would always complain about the "ashtrays" being useless.

Now the empty space simply stands for the void in your wallet.

But at the end of the day, it's your car. If you wanna call it an ashtray, be my guest. :)

2 ash trays and no cup holders... Mike, that is a plausable explaination.

Lack of cup holders is one of the things I have fun pointing out to younger folks. They really can't believe cars didn't always have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back