Differences between 71 and 72?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

Most of us consider 71s and 72s to be "the same", with 73s being the different ones.

But, there were actually a few significant differences between 71s and 72s.

These are the differences I can remember on 72s versus 71s:

The big stuff:

1) big blocks no longer available

2) BOSS 351 cancelled

3) 351 HO added as option

The little stuff:

1) mach 1 pop-open gas cap deleted

2) ram-air not available on any 4-v engines

3) No 4.11/1 axle available

4) "Seat Belt" light and buzzer added (running change, 1-1-72)

5) Seat back releases moved to outboard area on seat backs.

6) Power window bezels different

7) Standard steering wheel deleted

8) rear hood grande trim deleted

9) "MUSTANG" letters replaced with script on trunk lid

10) Trunk lid and lock modified

11) Hood latch mounts and grill(s) modified

12) HVAC control panel modified

13) tail light and sportlamp pigtails changed

14) "Autolite" parts changed to "Motorcraft" parts

Thats just from the top of my head, not that it really makes a difference anyway.

I know there were some obvious mechanical engine changes, and maybe some color and trim combo changes.

What else was changed, modified, cancelled or added from 71 to 72?

I know one thing. My 72 has rear seat belts, and the 71 replacement interior quarter panels do not have seat belt bezels and the metal structure molded to the panels are different. So, if you have rear seat belts, make sure your new interior quarter panels are compatible.

Yeah, rear seat belts...I forgot that they added those in '72. Good catch.

I think the grabber colors were discontinued in 72 also, but I'm not sure.

Good summary Kit!

Were there any differences in the seat belt logo buttons? It seems I recall some discussion on those before. Or maybe the difference in style was based on type of interior.

I edited your number 9 to add "on trunk lid" so folks would not confuse with the script on the front fenders which were the same on all three years.

black paint for tail lights was 71-72 deleted in 73

Seat belt Buckles button and clasp changed mid 72 as well. 71- early 72 had round button, later changed to Square, and the clasp changed slightly.

plus the rear selt belt retracts.

there was additional changes to the dash harness. 71 map light circuit was part of dash, 72 map light was a daughter circuit attached to main harness separately but they left the floor foot well light circuit alone.

front grill center support hood latch, changed from double to single design.

there was some changes to stamped parts on the chassis might of been improvements to the stamping die.

the 72 chassis had the upper mounts for the competition suspension removed unless your car was suppose to get competition suspension for staggered rear shocks. 71 they say most of the cars got the upper brackets installed but they were just not used.

there are actually alot of stupid little things different from 71-72, and what makes it more annoying is the running changes from early 72 to late 72.

the comfort weave pattern changed slightly in 72 also.

oh Delete of the upper rain deflectors from the front fender tops as well from 71 to 72.

Power window parts were the same for 71 and 72

73 had different switches and bezels

"the 72 chassis had the upper mounts for the competition suspension removed unless your car was suppose to get competition suspension for staggered rear shocks. 71 they say most of the cars got the upper brackets installed but they were just not used"

I have never found the staggard shock bracket on any 71 H or F codes?

Power window switches changed in 73, not 72? I always get that confused.

Also, I think the 15" 2-piece "action styled" hub caps ( Ford's description, not mine) were not available after 71, but again I am not totally sure.

I would think a stripped 72 coupe or sportroof optioned with the 351 HO would carry a mandatory option of 15" wheels,( and competition suspension, among other mandatory options) and the 2-piece caps would be the least expensive way to get there, but....I have never seen a 72 outfitted as such from the factory.

Good points in this post. If I may contribute.

I do beieve a 15" wheel was still available with the HO cars

Remember 72 production started fall of 71 so a December 71 - January 72 car was mid model year production almost. My 1/5/72 build date does have the square seat belt release button.

Space Saver Spare bottle moved from under the tire bracket to above. Same bracket position just changed.

72 removed clock from the main speedo cluster to console and switched sides on the speedo placement.

The clock and speedo arrangements did not change from 71-73, only the options selected decided what went where.

1) The Mach 1 package included a clock, and if no console was ordered, then a clock was included in the dash cluster.

2) If the optional gauges were ordered, but no console ordered, then a clock-delete credit was given since there was no place to mount a clock due to the tachometer taking up the location.

2) if a console was ordered in a Mach 1, but no optional gauges were ordered, then the clock came in the dash, and a "Mach 1" block-off plate was installed in the console clock-hole.

All very confusing...

All iterations of the dash gauge placement stayed consistent from 71 thru 73.

Last edited:
The changes with the seat belts from what I have seen are that 71 cars with standard belts had the black plastic buckles with the round release buttons, but if you ordered the deluxe belts you got the style belts that have silver/chrome buckles and square release buttons. In 72 the standard belts were the same as 71 but somewhere throughout the year the rear belts became retractable style same with deluxe belts silver/chrome and the rear quarter panels changed with a plastic trim where they came through. The later 72's an through 73 with deluxe belts used a black metal buckle with square buttons. Also when the belts changed to include the buzzer and light the cases on the front belt changed from a rubber boot that slips over to a hard plastic cover that's riveted on.

Air cleaners also changed in 72 from the larger style that was standard on all models except the 6 cylinder in 71, to a smaller version with the "pie cut" lid on 302 and 351 2v without ram air.

Honeycomb rear panels changed the size of the gas cap cutout. In 71 the hole is larger because of the standard pop open cap on Mach 1 models, in 72 the hole is smaller so that with the twist off cap you can't see the body color showing. The 71 type carries a d1zb number and the 72 style which is also what the nos ones are carry a d2zb number.

Power steering hose routing changed might have been in late 71 though from the long hose that clamped to the underhood brace to a short version that went from the pump to gearbox directly.

Grilles are drilled and moulded for 6 holes instead of 4 to accommodate either the dual grille brace or the single one.

Roof rail weatherstrip moulding used less glass aligning clips. Only 2

Wheel lip moulding and rocker mouldings standard on base cars

Not 100% sure on all the exact changeover dates or times for these things some might have been a partial or running change.

front grill center support hood latch, changed from double to single design.
That brings up an interesting question:

Did the grille mounts change at the same time, or did the early grills have six available mounting positions (four equally offset for early, two partially offset for late), foreshadowing the revision?

It doesn't make sense, but every two-strut car I've seen has a grille with six mounting hole provisions (mine included). Were all of them replaced?

-Kurt

I tend to believe that the individual letters were a 71-only item on the trunk lids. No early 72s came with them.

Back