Power Steering pulley is wobbling

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like the bolts are loose check around the pump and tighten as needed,power steering bracket that holds power steering box might be loose,not hard to do good luck.

You may find that the pulley is bent from a previous attempt to remove it improperly. This happened to me with a used pulley I bought. It looked fine but when I put it on and ran it the wobble was evident. I removed the pulley and placed it on it's nose on the bench and I could clearly see the pulley was leaning in one direction.

You may find that the pulley is bent from a previous attempt to remove it improperly. This happened to me with a used pulley I bought. It looked fine but when I put it on and ran it the wobble was evident. I removed the pulley and placed it on it's nose on the bench and I could clearly see the pulley was leaning in one direction.
You nailed it Tommy! That's exactly what I found. I ordered one and hope to have it in a few days. Luckily its not really bent badly. I guess it's been this way since I bought the car but I never looked closely enough to see it.

Thanks,

John

Be aware that there is a special puller / installation pulley tool that will not bend your pulley when to remove or install it. I bought my from a Snap On dealer years ago, but I believe that the Mustang Parts houses carry them now.

I had actually pressed mine (using the tool) too tight and backed it off ever-so-slightly... now I notice it moves in and out on the shaft about a millimeter or two when it's running. I'm sure it's also contributing to the belt fraying just a tiny a bit on the backside.

Looks like new pump time for me, too. ;)

Mister, if you're interested I have a PS Pump that I took off my car. The actual pump is fine, the reservoir had a crack in it that would slow leak.
Thank you, Sir! I'll let'cha know. I have a bit of time before I even get the car back from the painter. After that, I'll be reconfiguring my belts anyway (to include a belt for the A/C compressor, as mine was originally a non-A/C car).

I have seen people attempt to tension the belt by putting a bar on the block and levering against the pulley, which will bend the pulley of course. Lots of idiots out there.

Latest posts

Back