NEW PART - Heat A/C control panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
I have been in contact with a party getting plans in order to reproduce the Heater A/C control panel for the 71 - 73 mustang. Research has indicated that the panel wording changed at some point 72 - 73 from "FLOOR" in the selector window to "HEAT". They would like to correctly identify at about what point the changeover occured to properly market the units to concourse restorers. Below is a picture of the 4 panels (AC or no AC) that are being used as templates.

If you could please look at your car and note what the panel says and the production date of your car off of your Marti that would be very appreciated.

heater AC control panel.jpg

It is great to see some of the suppliers moving in to correct concourse restoration pieces for the 71 - 73. Let's support this with great and accurate information.

Thank you,

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your help so far. We are closing in on an accurate date. Between Mike73 and will e it appears it may have transitioned 9/72 - 10/72. I would REALLY appreciate some more confirmations. MechEng's point is valid to please include if it is AC or not. There may be a timing difference. Lets support these manufacturer's with the most accurate information we can obtain to help them provide us the most accurate parts.

Again, thanx for the help and keep it coming!

Brian.

Now I kinda wish I would've rehabbed my HVAC controls, rather than buy a Classic Auto Air controller - it's not bad, but those would look a lot better. Nice job! ::thumb::

The only sucky part about the CAA system is it eliminates the 'Fresh' capability with block-off plates. Other than that, I can't wait to use it (still not completely installed as my dash is still pretty much apart).

hede9adu.jpg

Mach 1 73 with AC

Build 3/01/73

Says "Heat"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 72 with a door tag date of 07/72 says floor and has a/c. I also have another control panel from a 73 with a build date of 12/72 and it says heat.

Hi, My name is Rick. I am new to the forum. I stumbled upon this post when I myself was doing research for manufacturing these plates and I thought I would pass along to you guys that I currently do manufacture them.

Just a little back ground about how a got in to this: I have a 69 Mustang that I installed an after market air conditioning system in. The system was from Classic Auto Air. I really like the system, but I did not like the sticker that displays the new A/C controls. This led me to manufacture my own face plate to match the Classic Auto Air controls. After doing this successfully I did a little research and realized that no one reproduces the original heater face plates for these cars. So I thought there may be an interest in them. So I did a few prototypes and sent them to a few Mustang supply houses to see if they would be interested in adding them to their catalog. Mustangs Unlimited, Dallas Mustang, and Laural Mountain Mustang currently have the 69/70 faceplates in their catalog.

I also contacted West Coast Classic Cougar. They also were interested in adding them to their catalog. They asked me if I made any for 71 -73 Mustangs and Cougars. My response was no I don't, but I could make them if I had an original to go off of. They sent me samples of originals and I just finished the 1st batch. Here are some pics. If anyone is interested send me a message and I'll give you the details.

Thanks,

Rick

717301.jpg

717302.jpg

730001.jpg

730002.jpg

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to pass along some ordering information on these. If you are interested in purchasing one they are $19.95 and shipping is free in the US & Canada. To purchase one just send the money to my PayPal. My PayPal username is: [email protected]. Just specify which one you need. Here are the parts and part numbers:

'71-'73 with Factory A/C (Before 9/30/72) This one says "FLOOR" not "HEAT" Part # 717301

'71-'73 Heater only (Before 9/30/72) This one says "FLOOR" not "HEAT" Part # 717302

73 with Factory A/C (After 10/1/72) This one says "HEAT not " FLOOR"

Part # 730001

73 with Heater Only (After 10/1/72) This one says "HEAT not " FLOOR"

Part # 730002

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

Thank you for offering up these pieces to our members. Glad you were able to get some accurate examples to reproduce and that the changeover between floor and heat is correctly indicated. Please let us know if you branch out into any other reproductions like radio faces or other indicators. I am not sure of your manufacturing capabilities, but if you could reproduce the "PARK" light lens for the dash panel you would have many folks interested. These things are currently made out of unoobtanium.

I am not sure of your manufacturing capabilities, but if you could reproduce the "PARK" light lens for the dash panel you would have many folks interested. These things are currently made out of unoobtanium.
I was thinking the very same thing. Also needed is the same red lens with for the REAR defroster.

Awesome work BTW.

Latest posts

Back