not sure on this one!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised nobody has made a cowl induction hood for these cars that follow the normal NACA bulge and simply omit the scoops (as opposed to the bulge-on-a-bulge fiberglass Dominator).

Frankly, the shaker scoop seen here wouldn't look bad if it weren't for the needless NACA hood inlets in front of it.

-Kurt

A little scoop schizophrenia going on there...

The exact hood you described was at one time available from an aftermarket supplier years ago. ( Cervini's?)

It was the same shape as a NASA hood with the scoops filled in and smoothed in, the bulge was raised a bit, and the rear was a cowl-induction set-up.

Not too attractive to me.

The original design for the NACA hood is so good stylistically, it has stood the test of time and has remained popular over the years. It was incorporated into many aftermarket hoods for late,-model Mustangs, as well as several other cars.

It has even influenced some newer OEM desugns from several manufacturers.

The exact hood you described was at one time available from an aftermarket supplier years ago. ( Cervini's?)

It was the same shape as a NASA hood with the scoops filled in and smoothed in, the bulge was raised a bit, and the rear was a cowl-induction set-up.

Not too attractive to me.
With exception to the smoothed-in scoops you speak of, that describes the Dominator. It is awful looking:

144613d1323094282-1973-mustang-cowl-hood-soon-come-mustang-71-73-dominator-hood.jpg

This is what I had in mind, which isn't too unattractive at all, given what it looks like in the original photo. Essentially a standard hood with the center raised rather than recessed:

2yl75n8.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I had in mind, which isn't too unattractive at all, given what it looks like in the original photo. Essentially a standard hood with the center raised rather than recessed:

2yl75n8.jpg

-Kurt
Now that I like the look of a lot more than the original post. But I have to agree that the standard NACA hood is just so good looking that I don't feel much of a need to mess with it.

Ummm - they butchered the Tutone hood treatment. rofl

But I have to agree that the standard NACA hood is just so good looking that I don't feel much of a need to mess with it.
I don't know... have you seen what Scott (QCode351Mach) did to his hood? He added some heat extraction louvered vents toward the back of the hood, pretty much straight back from the NACA ducts. Looks freaken awesome, and I'll bet it does a great job, as well.

I don't know... have you seen what Scott (QCode351Mach) did to his hood? He added some heat extraction louvered vents toward the back of the hood, pretty much straight back from the NACA ducts. Looks freaken awesome, and I'll bet it does a great job, as well.
You mean this?

attachment.php

Its' awesomeness haunts my dreams...

Back