Tranny Swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odojohn

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang
351C
I have a 72 Mach 1 with 351c I'm converting back to original 4 speed

Will a 68 Mustang with a 289 close ratio trans fit. I found a complete setup on eBay.

The 289/302 have the same bolt pattern as the 351w and Cleveland (bell housing).

Thanks for the info... I decided to wait and look for a wide ratio and a later model. Still looking for a trans, if anyone has one let me know...

The 289/302 have the same bolt pattern as the 351w and Cleveland (bell housing).

Have you considered a t-5 (5-speed)?

the z-bar and the whole mechanical setup is different. however, there is available cable setup or hydraulic setup that is available to use instead of the mechanical linkage stuff!

Thanks for the info... I decided to wait and look for a wide ratio and a later model. Still looking for a trans, if anyone has one let me know...

I have a trans , aluminum bell housing, pedals and hurst shifter in my attic if you are interested . It's for a 71 351 c .

I have a trans , aluminum bell housing, pedals and hurst shifter in my attic if you are interested . It's for a 71 351 c .
Thanks for the reply... Yes, definitely interested, how much you looking to get for everything? I'm also in need of clutch linkage.

John

I have a 72 302 coupe 1971.15 :) it is all put together by different pieces from Mach1 to boss to 351w. It is almost like a 71 that just got all the end of year parts put on it. I cannot determine if I have a C4 or C6 this is important because I am in need of a new rear end gears - any suggestions???

72coupe302, sounds like you want to identity which transmission you have. Look at site WWW.crankshaftcoalition.transmission identification. They give you fool proof ways to identity what you have.

72coupe302, sounds like you want to identity which transmission you have. Look at site WWW.crankshaftcoalition.transmission identification. They give you fool proof ways to identity what you have.
THANK YOU

THANK YOU
But the link won't work for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll check it out. Much appreciated...
I assume I have the C4 :( what do you suggest for gears?

I was thinking 3:73 and I am going to weld it up (locker) old schoo1 :)

Back