New Mustang owner....maybe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsup

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
I may be the owner of a 1973 convertible. Long story of how I got here, but I'll find out tomorrow if this is a good deal tomorrow.

I'm trying to figure out how to find some of the odds and ends it needs I found some nice door panels I like. I need some rearview mirrors.

I have a Corvette and can tell you about every nut and bolt in the car, I'm not familiar with the Fords, or Mustangs. FWIW I'm not one of "those" corvette guys. NO gold chains, open shirts, etc...

Anyway, I have some plans for this and just wanted to start reading up to see what I'm getting myself into.

Welcome from Arkansas. If 71-73 mustangs are your interest, you have come to the right place. Hope you get the car and look forward to seeing some pics

Thanks. I have a good friend who does restorations looking at it tomorrow for me. I'm optimistic. It will need work, but nothing I can't do. I just don't do paint, anything else is in my scope.

I'm sure I have a lot of learning to do to catch up on Mustangs. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Welcome to the site from Virginia. I'm sure you will find plenty of great info here. Just ask if you can't find it. Good luck with the purchase and post up some pics.

I may be the owner of a 1973 convertible. Long story of how I got here, but I'll find out tomorrow if this is a good deal tomorrow.

I'm trying to figure out how to find some of the odds and ends it needs I found some nice door panels I like. I need some rearview mirrors.

I have a Corvette and can tell you about every nut and bolt in the car, I'm not familiar with the Fords, or Mustangs. FWIW I'm not one of "those" corvette guys. NO gold chains, open shirts, etc...

Anyway, I have some plans for this and just wanted to start reading up to see what I'm getting myself into.
Welcome from the beautiful NW. The jump from a Vette to a Mustang will not be that painful. I have bounced between Chevelles, Impalas and Mustangs. Unlike GM, Ford did not build a car and drop whatever engine into it. Ford built the car around the engine. So, make sure the car you buy has the engine you want. Also, Mustangs are unibody so you cannot remove the body and find a frame.

As far as parts, most are available through reproduction companies such as National Parts Depot, CJ Mustang Parts and Macs. Whatever you cannot find in a reproduction are likely available as NOS on eBay. Finally, you have come to the right place for support and networking.

There are a lot of salvage yards between Ohio and Virginia that may have useable door panels however, I chose to order them new for a couple extra $s which can depend on quality and easiest to work with. I ordered mine from Laurel Mountain Mustang in New Stanton, PA. The same, CJ Pony Mustang Auto Parts @ Carlisle area of PA has plenty in stock. The same with racing sideview mirrors. As you look into them, will find that they are only a cosmetic item and the standard side mirrors are easier to see through.

Mikke

Good Luck! Welcome from Latrobe, PA. What year vette? I picked up a 76, new overseas while in the Air Force, ie, Bright Blue Metallic, smoke gray leather interior, Gymkana Racing Suspension, however the coupe w/AT and std L-48 350 motor. Attch: 72 Restomod R-Code w/3.5:1 rear axle, Hurst 4-Speed Stick wide ratio w/Ford Toploader and Gear Vendors Overdrive, 9.5:1 compression ratio, limited slip posi traction w/traction bars, frame stiffeners, rear sway bar, power disk brakes, original AM/FM radio w/5 speakers fwd, 2 180 watt JBL's in rear, 200 watt sub-woofer, 400 watt amp, front and rear battery, Holley "Avenger" Solid Throttle Body 700cfm 4bbl carb/Forced Induction, 80gph, Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Injection, MSD rev limiter set at 6,500 rpm's, @ 370 hp from engine, 270 RWHP, 290 ft lbs, @ 6.0 seconds to 60mph w/12-16mpg.

No gold chains?..well that's disappointing. :p

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Be sure to drop a pin on our member map under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back