Will these mirrors fit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsup

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-78-Mustang-II-Pinto-Maverick-Comet-Vintage-Sport-Mirrors-/121274336936

These mirrors are for a 75-78. I like the fact that it has a passenger "remote" to adjust the RH mirror.

I can not find a RH remote mirror for the Mustang.

Does anyone know if these will fit? Are the brackets at the right angle to make this work? I'm painting the car and would like to do the mirrors at the same time.

Thanks in advance.
I think that those mirrors have a shorter base.

You should confirm before purchasing.

yes the Base is shorter, but its exactly what I have on my car.

Last year I bought a set of the proper Mustang mirrors, but I'm waiting to have them painted.

mirror.jpg

mirror2.jpg

The housings and adjustable heads will fit the longer Mustang base. You just have to drill a hole for the cable to pass through the base. If you want to mount the controller on the dash, you will have to drill the post and door edge also. A good mounting place for the control is the plastic steering column flashing. It's easily fixed if you want to reverse this idea later.

yes the Base is shorter, but its exactly what I have on my car.

Last year I bought a set of the proper Mustang mirrors, but I'm waiting to have them painted.
Great, good to know. I kinda like the shorter base. Do you find that the shorter base makes it any harder to see out??

The housings and adjustable heads will fit the longer Mustang base. You just have to drill a hole for the cable to pass through the base. If you want to mount the controller on the dash, you will have to drill the post and door edge also. A good mounting place for the control is the plastic steering column flashing. It's easily fixed if you want to reverse this idea later.
THanks, good to know. My next question was going to be if anyone knew if the cable would reach.

I'm thinking of doing a custom console, and putting it in there, not sure yet, but this is great information to have. Thanks again.

I picked up a set of Gran Torino mirrors from e-Bay, and discovered the difference in the pedestals as well. Last weekend, I swapped pedestals (my stock Mach 1 onto the Gran Torino's housing).

Unfortunately, it's a bit involved. The cable controls are spring-loaded, and permanently assembled - meaning, there's no easy way to disassemble the mechanism in order to perpetuate an easy swap.

What I did was clip the cables inside the mirror mechanism itself, as to remove the cable from the housing. Then I compared the two pedestals and noticed the housing mounting surfaces are identical... as is the hardware holding the housing to the pedestal. The housings are identical (different part numbers, of course) with the exception of the shape adjacent to the pedestal mount - the Mach 1 is flared a bit more for more flow into the pedestal than the Torino housing. This is not important to me, because nobody's going to be climbing under my passenger side mirror and deduct points, let alone really give a crap once the paint is matched up. ;)

After clipping the cables, I removed the cable from the Torino mirror pedestal and housing, separated the housing and pedestal, and drilled a 3/8" hole between the mounting holes on the Mach 1 pedestal. For the purposes of getting the parts painted, I reassembled the Torino housing to the Mach 1 pedestal and put the Mach 1's non-remote-controlled mirror assembly back in.

Interestingly enough, the remote-controlled mirror assembly from the Torino mounts into the housing exactly the same manner and location as the non-remote-controlled mirror assembly from the Mach 1. So if someone were to simply drill the necessary holes in the correct places on the pedestal, housing, mounting plate, and door, one could simply remove the remote control cable and mechanism from the mirror and swap them into their '71-'73 Sport Mirrors.

Before I took the mirror apart, I temporarily hung it in-place on the door, and ran the cable through the door, A-pillar, and through the dashboard to the driver side. It reached all the way to the steering column, but not much further, if at all (again, just kind of spit-balling the length to decide if I even want to do this, at the time). I remember seeing a picture of a '71 Cougar with remote in the dashboard just to the right of the steering column. I don't think there's enough room on the Mustang dashboard by the wiper controls... but I'll figure something out (maybe just relocate the cigarette lighter - I'll only be using it for a power source anyway... most likely just put it in the console or something).

09-1974-Ford-Mustang-Down-On-the-Junkyard-Picture-courtesy-of-Murilee-Martin-550x412.jpg

The only hard part is getting the cable removed (intact) and/or reassembling. The cables at the remote control assembly inside the mirror have really small crimp-on cable ends - very much like the ones used on bicycle cable brakes (which is what I'm going to attempt to put it all back together with after I get the car back from paint). If it works, I'll have a detailed write-up with pics... if not - well, then consider this my attempt and potential failure. ;) :D

FWIW - I also had purchased a Mustang II passenger side mirror with remote control... and still have it. I'll dissect it and see if all the mounting and whatnot is the same - if so, you should be able to make it work with '71-'73 Sport Mirrors... after going through the hassle of what I'll be writing up very soon. ;)

My cable on the passengers side was cut, so only the drivers side has the remote.

As for the angle, it seems fine to me, its always been that way so I have nothing to compare it to.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapTalk

I picked up a set of Gran Torino mirrors from e-Bay, and discovered the difference in the pedestals as well. Last weekend, I swapped pedestals (my stock Mach 1 onto the Gran Torino's housing).

Unfortunately, it's a bit involved. The cable controls are spring-loaded, and permanently assembled - meaning, there's no easy way to disassemble the mechanism in order to perpetuate an easy swap.

What I did was clip the cables inside the mirror mechanism itself, as to remove the cable from the housing. Then I compared the two pedestals and noticed the housing mounting surfaces are identical... as is the hardware holding the housing to the pedestal. The housings are identical (different part numbers, of course) with the exception of the shape adjacent to the pedestal mount - the Mach 1 is flared a bit more for more flow into the pedestal than the Torino housing. This is not important to me, because nobody's going to be climbing under my passenger side mirror and deduct points, let alone really give a crap once the paint is matched up. ;)

After clipping the cables, I removed the cable from the Torino mirror pedestal and housing, separated the housing and pedestal, and drilled a 3/8" hole between the mounting holes on the Mach 1 pedestal. For the purposes of getting the parts painted, I reassembled the Torino housing to the Mach 1 pedestal and put the Mach 1's non-remote-controlled mirror assembly back in.

Interestingly enough, the remote-controlled mirror assembly from the Torino mounts into the housing exactly the same manner and location as the non-remote-controlled mirror assembly from the Mach 1. So if someone were to simply drill the necessary holes in the correct places on the pedestal, housing, mounting plate, and door, one could simply remove the remote control cable and mechanism from the mirror and swap them into their '71-'73 Sport Mirrors.

Before I took the mirror apart, I temporarily hung it in-place on the door, and ran the cable through the door, A-pillar, and through the dashboard to the driver side. It reached all the way to the steering column, but not much further, if at all (again, just kind of spit-balling the length to decide if I even want to do this, at the time). I remember seeing a picture of a '71 Cougar with remote in the dashboard just to the right of the steering column. I don't think there's enough room on the Mustang dashboard by the wiper controls... but I'll figure something out (maybe just relocate the cigarette lighter - I'll only be using it for a power source anyway... most likely just put it in the console or something).

09-1974-Ford-Mustang-Down-On-the-Junkyard-Picture-courtesy-of-Murilee-Martin-550x412.jpg

The only hard part is getting the cable removed (intact) and/or reassembling. The cables at the remote control assembly inside the mirror have really small crimp-on cable ends - very much like the ones used on bicycle cable brakes (which is what I'm going to attempt to put it all back together with after I get the car back from paint). If it works, I'll have a detailed write-up with pics... if not - well, then consider this my attempt and potential failure. ;) :D

FWIW - I also had purchased a Mustang II passenger side mirror with remote control... and still have it. I'll dissect it and see if all the mounting and whatnot is the same - if so, you should be able to make it work with '71-'73 Sport Mirrors... after going through the hassle of what I'll be writing up very soon. ;)

Thanks. I appreciate the detail. What I may do is use the Mustang II mirrors (I like the shorter ones anyway)

I don't want anyone to cringe, but I was also looking at C5 (Corvette) mirrors.

$_12.JPG

They are cheap, electric, heated, and different. But the question is.....would it be UGLY...

Let the slaying begin.........:D

I installed the Mustang II guts and cable on my 73 back in 1980. I'm very happy with them. The cables can be unthreaded from the retainer with about twenty minutes work. Mark them well with paint as it is important to get them back in the original location. The mirror won't move correctly otherwise. There are letters on the retainer like R,B,Y for the original color code. But remark them as they are hard to see after twisting and handling. I've done about six sets over the last twenty years, most were made from Torino units, they work best because the cable is longer and more forgiving to the cable route. The Mustang II cable will just reach the steering column. So a console location should be no problem.

I have a set of electric mirrors from my Mom's '96 T-bird LX that have been damaged and since replaced with new. I'm thinking about dissecting those guys and somehow making the electric servos fit into the Mach 1 mirror housings - and have Power Mirrors.

But, that's down the road.

I think the Corvette mirrors would be a mis match and be totally ugly? Of course I'd have to see hem in real life. What do you think?

It's really hard to find a door mount electric mirror, the corvette is one of them. Most mount on the door in front of the window.

Back