vinyl top

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peche 71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande, 351 Cleveland, restoration project
1973 Convertible, 302, slight restoration
In thinking of the color scheme for my 71 Grande, is there such a thing as a red vinyl top, one that doesn't have to be dyed?

peche 71,

Interesting thought there! No, I have never seen one since most reproductions are the typical white, brown, and black. You might want to contact an auto upholstery shop to see if the material is available and or can it be dyed.. Please let us know what you find out.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks much, I thought I saw it once on a GM car, and would think it would look sharp on a white body, with red accents, to go along with a black interior. If I do it, I'll post pics here.

On the subject of vinyl tops, a passerby stopped and asked about my car.

I was leaving work and he asked what year. We discussed the restoration

project I was driving and he cautioned me about replacing the vinyl top.

He said to make sure when the top is replaced to sand down to bare metal,

prime then paint it before applying the vinyl. I would not have guessed that.

mike

'71 Grande M-code w/toploader

On the subject of vinyl tops, a passerby stopped and asked about my car.

I was leaving work and he asked what year. We discussed the restoration

project I was driving and he cautioned me about replacing the vinyl top.

He said to make sure when the top is replaced to sand down to bare metal,

prime then paint it before applying the vinyl. I would not have guessed that.

mike

'71 Grande M-code w/toploader
Only applies if the paint under the vinyl is in poor enough condition that pooling moisture will present a problem.

I would not cut down to bare metal and epoxy the vinyl area leaving a shelf of the original paint right at the vinyl molding line - it'd increase the chances for rust, IMO.

-Kurt

awesome! I spoke to a local guy that does vinyl, he does have red available, and he said for my car that sanding down all the rust would be necessary, since the former top is long gone. I still have all the moldings though. Thanks for the pic Caspian, it was a similar car that I saw it on.

Just curious too, vinyl top before the paint job or after?

Back