Not really name that part...but close

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Coupe
I know this is my ignition timing pointer for my 302.

I believe the pointer part is at the end (blue arrow), but does anyone know what the circular window/tube is for (Red arrow)?

TimingPointer.png

Originally it was a 1972 California car...maybe emission stuff?

Grateful for any help

T2

Same exact part is on my 351-2V, also a California Car. I didn't really think anything of it when I was putting it back on... Now I want to know myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they were for the factory and dealers to plug a sensor into to detect the notch on the damper, and set the timing.
I think you might be right, I was doing some searching of my own, and they used something similar on the 5.0 in the fox bodies as well. Best I could come up with was "Electronic Crankshaft Position Sensor" which seems to jive with what you're saying.

Hey - ask the old guy!

I have this tool in my collection of old Rotundra / Heckler Ford crap. It is a probe with a pig tail that plugs into my Ford version of the Sun 820 Electronic Engine Tester.

From the manual:

"The new "monolithic" timing features the conventional system employs degree numbers on the crankshaft vibration damper, a timing pointer near the damper, and an index mark on both the distributor rotor and distributor body.

The monolithic system employs a timing receptacle designed to accept an electronic probe (figr. 6) that is connected to digital read-out equipment. Thus the timing is determined electronically."

It is the last of art deco style shop equipment that was so beautiful in the

1950's and 60's

- Paul

Can you scan that figure in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is not much of a diagram - just a line drawing showing the hole in the pointer and line to the correct port on the 820.

10frurt.jpg

I will see if I can scan it for you.

- Paul

Back