Sound off if you have a 429 / 429 Mustang Roll Call

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang Mach 1, 429CJ, J Code SOLD 3/2016

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
From Kim Miller Collection
How many of us have factory 429 J Code cars here? Please check in and tell us what you have.

My car:

1971 Mach 1 429CJ-R

Light Pewter Metallic

1. 429CJ-R

2. Mach 1 Sports Interior

3. Select-Shift Cruise-O-matic

4. Traction-Lok Differential (3.25)

5. F-60X15 Wide Oval Belted Raised White Letter Tires

6. Convenience Group

7. Power Steering

8. Tilt Steering Wheel

9. Rim Blow-deluxe Steering Wheel

10. Sport Deck Rear Seat

11. Power Front Disc Brakes

12. Rear Deck Spoiler

13. Air Conditioner-Selectaire

14. Rear Window Electric Defrost

15. Stereosonic Tape System

16. AM Radio

17. Console

18. Intermittent Windshield Wipers

19. Deluxe Belts / Warning Light

20. Tinted Glass-Complete

21. Power Side Windows

22. Magnum 500 Chrome Wheels

23. Instrumentation Group

Added at time of restoration:

1. Tape Stripes

2. Front Spoiler

My car was ordered by Ford employee, J. Williams who worked at the Atlanta Assembly Plant Hapeville, Georgia. I have no idea who or what Mr. Williams did or if he was perhaps an executive there. According to Kevin Marti, my car was ordered under the Ford Motor Company Lease Plan. Kevin said that any Ford employee could participate in this program.

I am currently in the process of identifying as many previous owners as I can. Also trying to get any old memorabilia they might have to put in a scrapbook that will always stay with the car. You see, I know the car will out live me. I want the next owner to know and have as much information and documentation as possible about this car. Trying to look out for the next generation of big body Mustang lovers out there!

Tell us what you know about your 429 Mustang!

That is a loaded up 429. Looks like that exec. checked most if not all of the boxes. Do you have a Marti on it? It has got to be a low number of comparables. Great to see you looking for some 429 members. I am not sure myself how many we have, but I sure hope I can be one someday.

I call on every 71 listed on craigslist in the general area and check for a J, C, or R in the VIN.

So far we have found one M code Sports roof - mostly rust free - this is the car my son and his friend are going to restore to resell this summer.

A not so rough 71 convert sold in Florida a few years back for 3K - it was a C code 429 4 speed car.

I bet there are more than a few cars within 100 miles or so of our home that are just another rusty old big 70's Ford to the current owner. They will get sold on CL at some point. (and I will probably be one phone call to late.)

A 67 Fastback popped up on CL with no picture here in St. Louis for 5K a few months ago and the ad was deleted within 30 minutes by the owner. I bet he sold it to the first person who called.

I have bought a few very cheap parts cars doing this over the years so I do not considered it a waste of time. Actually its kind of fun.

- Paul

Nice..very loaded too..she is one of one..I would put a little cash on that bet ;)...I think the only i see missing off the top of my head is the heavy duty bat and AM/FM stereo radio....Wild they did not put atleast the AM/FM in along with the tape system..but im sure it had to do with what some one wanted.

AM/FM Tape was not offered in 71. Only choices were: AM, AM/FM stereo or AM/ 8-track stereo.

AM/FM Tape was not offered in 71. Only choices were: AM, AM/FM stereo or AM/ 8-track stereo.
Yep,

You are right. FM radio stations were just not hot back then. However, 8 Track players were still hot. I put a Craig Pioneer on the console of my 67 RS Camaro and ordered a AM 8 Track radio on my 72 Mach 1.

I remember arguing with the salesman when he said there was no such thing as an AM 8 track radio. He apologize when he found it on the order sheet. Ironically, when my car came in on the train a couple months later thieves jumped the train and stole the radio out of my car. I had to wait a couple more days for the dealer to put another radio in the car.

When I did finally get my car some moron at the dealer threw my window sticker in the trash. Really made me mad. I was just a kid back then and did not have the sense to go fuss to them about it. If I had I might have ended up with the dealer invoice. I doubt I even knew what that was back then.

My 71 has a period correct for 71 AM FM radio in the dash. However I do have my original AM 8 Track radio that came with the car when I bought it. I will probably re-install it since my Elite Marti Report actually shows that my car is one of one based on the AM 8 Track radio.

I don't really listen to the radio anyway. Would rather hear the rumble of the 429!

I knew I should have held on to all those 8 Track tapes. As I remember the sound was CD quality.:s

I call on every 71 listed on craigslist in the general area and check for a J, C, or R in the VIN.

So far we have found one M code Sports roof - mostly rust free - this is the car my son and his friend are going to restore to resell this summer.

A not so rough 71 convert sold in Florida a few years back for 3K - it was a C code 429 4 speed car.

I bet there are more than a few cars within 100 miles or so of our home that are just another rusty old big 70's Ford to the current owner. They will get sold on CL at some point. (and I will probably be one phone call to late.)

A 67 Fastback popped up on CL with no picture here in St. Louis for 5K a few months ago and the ad was deleted within 30 minutes by the owner. I bet he sold it to the first person who called.

I have bought a few very cheap parts cars doing this over the years so I do not considered it a waste of time. Actually its kind of fun.

- Paul
Paul,

I check CL for stuff all the time. You have to be ready to roll or you lose. There are people out there that sometimes don't know what they have and you can get a deal.

I am still looking for that ad that says 1953 Chevy for sale. They have never found serial#100001 1953 Chevy Corvette. Would be a nice find!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a wannabe here , 73 H code with 71 paint and a 460 . :dodgy:

1971 Mach 1

Bright red

429 CJ-R (J code)

C-6

3.25 trak-lok axle

A/C

Power/ Tilt Steering

Rim Blow wheel

Power brakes

Power windows

Fold down seat

map light

mach 1 interior

convenience group

Full gauges

Console

Rear spoiler

Magnum 500s

Side stripes

am/ fm stereo

Much has changed over the years:

modern sound system

repro magnums, better tires

front spoiler

drivetrain mods

new paint/ bodywork (8 times!)

and other stuff i can't remember right now.

Paul,

I check CL for stuff all the time. You have to be ready to roll or you lose. There are people out there that sometimes don't know what they have and you can get a deal.

I am still looking for that ad that says 1953 Chevy for sale. They have never found serial#100001 1953 Chevy Corvette. Would be a nice find!
I was in the room when a friend called on a 54 Chevy - he got all excited and told the lady that he would bring cash in an hour and to tell everyone who calls that the car is sold.

She told him it was a "Corv... Corv-ette... you know that damn plastic car"

He got it for 500.00 bucks but it was really in bad shape from sitting outside for decades. He planned to restore it but ended up selling it as found for a nice profit.

- Paul

Glad some one is looking for the big block owners. I have one it's a j code, it's all original with ginger interior, and yes am/fm. The only thing not original is the tires and wheels. Love it.

i have a 1971 j code mach 1.pewter,black deluxe.i found it in 1986.i would travel 70 miles one way once or twice a year to ask him about buying it.his answer was always the same-i am going to fix it.twenty five years later while on vacation,i went to ask him again.he had just passed away.fortunately,one of the family members sold it to a friend of mine.he sold it to me and the wait was over.finally!

i have a 1971 j code mach 1.pewter,black deluxe.i found it in 1986.i would travel 70 miles one way once or twice a year to ask him about buying it.his answer was always the same-i am going to fix it.twenty five years later while on vacation,i went to ask him again.he had just passed away.fortunately,one of the family members sold it to a friend of mine.he sold it to me and the wait was over.finally!
Welcome Mark,

Cool story! Must have been a very good friend that would sell you the car. Make sure you post in the introduction section. We would also love to see photos and hear about your plans for the car. I am always curious of the Vin# to see how close it is to mine. My Vin sequence number is 118495 and was built on September 25, 1970. Coming up on her birthday pretty soon.

You will love this site. Thanks for letting us know about your rare 429 Mustang! Oh by the way, Light Pewter is my favorite Mustang color.

IMG_616900173168143.jpegI have a 72 wannabe.Originally a 63R 351 2v car

Now it's got a 521.

I just picked up a J code 1971 Mach 1 off ebay last week:

Here are the specs:

1971 Mach 1 429CJ-R

Built 10/7/70

Grabber Green Exterior

5W white interior (currently black)

1. 429CJ-R

2. Mach 1 Sports Interior

3. Select-Shift Cruise-O-matic

4. 3.25 open diff

5. F-60X15 Wide Oval Belted Raised White Letter Tires

6. Convenience Group

7. Power Steering

8. Tilt Steering Wheel

9. Rim Blow-deluxe Steering Wheel

10. Sport Deck Rear Seat

11. Power Front Disc Brakes

12. Rear Deck Spoiler

13. Air Conditioner-Selectaire

14. Rear Window Electric Defrost

15. Stereosonic Tape System

16. AM Radio

17. Console

18. Intermittent Windshield Wipers

19. Deluxe Belts / Warning Light

20. Tinted Glass-Complete

21. Power Side Windows

22. Magnum 500 Chrome Wheels

23. Tach Instrumentation Group

24. Bodyside tape stripe

25. Export decals

26. Accessory Pack

27. Metric Speedo

28. Delete auto seat back release

It was ordered with every option except traction lock. This Mustang was kind of unique in that it was originally exported to Japan. I've found 2 other 1971 429 equipped Mach 1's that were also exported in 1971 and both are spec'ed out exactly like mine except the colors different.

I've always wanted a 71-72 Mach 1 or Boss but could never find the right car at the right price. This one fit the bill perfectly!

Pictures and additional info can be found at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291854230590?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1 1971

F Built at Dearborn

05 Mustang Mach I 2-Door SportsRoof

J 429-4V Cobra Jet Ram Air V-8 Engine

186558 Serial Number of this Ford scheduled for

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

- Mach I Sports Interior Option

- Traction-Lok Differential

- F70x14 Wide Oval Belted Raised White Letter Tires

- Convenience Group

- Power Steering

- Power Front Disc Brakes