One last 429 4 speed question, I promise.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderguns71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback small block, now 429.
Okay, I'm about to lose my mind here. All I was simply trying to do was swap a 4 speed behind my 429, but apparently nothing is simple.

I've located a frame side z bar mount thanks to Don @ Ohio Mustang.

Got a 351C mount for the engine side which can easily be modified for the 429 bell housing.

Making my own z-bar so that's a non issue.

Took a small input/28 spline out transmission and converted it to big input and 31 spline out. Didn't have a tail housing and David Kee is out of stock for the aftermarket aluminum ones, so he's trying to locate me a D0Z housing to bore out.

Have the correct Hurst shifter, but apparently the mounting plate is different between small block and big block, correct? If so, that's not cheap.

Am I also to assume the shifter rods are different between small blocks and big blocks also?

All I know is for what I already have in this thing, plus what the flywheel and clutch cost (12" is nice and pricy) I could and may still sale what I have and go TKO. Depending on how hard those last two items are to find, plate and rods, I may just do that. Sorry if I seem frustrated, but if this was a 70 and earlier big block Mustang it would be a piece of cake.

So anyways sorry for the small rant. Any idea on my two questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a guy who just installed a 72 toploader and shifter setup into his 70 mustang and he said, "it all went straight in." Was a 351c setup.

Well I got David Kee working on a installation kit for the shifter so hopefully that pans out for not too much more money. I just don't understand why parts are so difficult to come by for a 426-460 in a 71. You would think the aftermarket would at least make the z-bar and engine side mount. Especially for us guys who don't care about the numbers matching stuff.

Guys,

I installed a 4spd Toploader trans with a hurst shifter that was tagged for a 71-72 Torino w/ a 351 C and it went right in and lined up perfectly. I do not remember the trans tag numbers and it is too F'ing cold to go in the garage tonite !!! I do not think there is a difference except the shaft sizes. I do know that I did change the shifter to a mustang specific one. I modified a stock 351c z-bar and fabricated a trans side bracket for the trans with no issues.

It has worked well for about 2,000 miles so far and many more to go.......

If you have any questions, I will be glad to discuss.

Thanks, Jay

I assume you are using a small input/output toploader? or is it the correct big input/ big out?

I just used everything off my 351 it all went pretty easy.The shifter mounting plate on mine is from a small block of course,but looks like the one for the big block on the 429megasite.The part number is one letter different so I'm sure it's going to be bolt spacing,I just wonder how far off it is,if you couldn't modify a small block one to fit or just build your own mounting plate to fit the tail shaft housing you end up with.If you need some pictures of my z bar it's out of the car right now,just let me know.Good luck.

Well thanks for the help and pictures everyone. Ended up buying a TKO this morning partly out of frustration and partly because I've been wanting an overdrive for over a year now. I guess trying to locate all the correct pieces for this toploader pushed me over the edge in my decision making. Would like some pictures of your z-bar if you don't mind since I'm still using all mechanical linkages.

Okay thanks. I'm in no hurry. I've got a z-bar I made/used when the car had a small block and 4 speed, but it was never quite right, so maybe with your pictures I can make it correct this time around.

Back