Sound off if you have a Boss 351 or '72 R-code

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a Boss 351 that I bought from a guy named Gene in August 1978 in Springfield Missouri. Been stored since, am now retired and going to start refurbishing the ole gal. She’s silver and black; mos

Interestingly the VIN of Mike429cj's B1 is one earlier than the VIN of my Boss (1F02R146446). How many miles does Jonnywrench's Boss indicate? When you say that it is all there, does it have the origi

Posted Images

I have a black Boss that is (still) a project. It was built in Nov 1970, and is the only one with a vermillion (BE) interior. In fact, according to Mustang by the numbers, it's the only Mustang built with that color combination in the '71-'73 body style. Not fond of the interior color, but it is what it is. I have another project ahead of it, so it sits quietly waiting for the day I can get to it.

Steve

• 1 month later...

^ Steve, that color combo sound great to me. It will be a stunning color combo when fixed!

I have a bright blue metallic Boss 351 with blue standard interior built 11/70 and sold in 4/71. Optioned with tinted glass, power steering, Magnum 500s, AM 8 track radio, and full console. She is a little rough, and needs work, but she runs and drives.

I have a Wimbledon White Boss with std black interior. It is pretty basically equipped, but I am thankful for the power steering. My car was sold new in Cordell, Oklahoma. I contacted the selling dealer's family and learned the dealership burned down back in the late 70's. The family now owns a GM dealership. I spoke to Don Cannon's grandaughter and she said they had found a shoebox with some things from the old dealership and wondered if I would like to have any of the items. Ugh... YES!

She also mentioned some old damaged polaroid pictures and asked if my Mustang was white. I told her YES. The pictures were damaged but I told her I would take them even if they were in pieces!

This car built on 12 Feb 1971.

Below is one of the pics that I tried with the help of friends to restore. The last pic is one of my car and and old GF in the staging lanes at Tulsa Drag strip circa about 1982.

I sure hope to get this car back running soon! Ray

Boss_1971_picrestored.thumb.jpg.897dbb3620afda58cb4dd7a32ed3ffb7.jpg

Boss_1971_picrestored_back.jpg.2536cddace34ab43bcabcb0bd494a3f7.jpg

MidAmerica_1982_staginglane.jpg.30327b28ab4d1299b4b42e36a73c829f.jpg

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

I have a Wimbledon White Boss with std black interior. It is pretty basically equipped, but I am thankful for the power steering. My car was sold new in Cordell, Oklahoma. I contacted the selling dealer's family and learned the dealership burned down back in the late 70's. The family now owns a GM dealership. I spoke to Don Cannon's grandaughter and she said they had found a shoebox with some things from the old dealership and wondered if I would like to have any of the items. Ugh... YES!

She also mentioned some old damaged polaroid pictures and asked if my Mustang was white. I told her YES. The pictures were damaged but I told her I would take them even if they were in pieces!

Below is one of the pics that I tried with the help of friends to restore. The last pic is one of my car and and old GF in the staging lanes at Tulsa Drag strip circa about 1982.

Nice story and I really like the old pictures.

^ Steve, that color combo sound great to me. It will be a stunning color combo when fixed!

I have a bright blue metallic Boss 351 with blue standard interior built 11/70 and sold in 4/71. Optioned with tinted glass, power steering, Magnum 500s, AM 8 track radio, and full console. She is a little rough, and needs work, but she runs and drives.

Thanks. I just can't imagine ordering a plaid interior, but it was the 70's.

Love the old pics, man. Great story!

Great find in the old pics.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Grabber Yellow Boss 351 with 44k original miles. Removed all the original suspension, engine, trans and brakes.

Dropped in all Global West suspension, Baer brakes. Richmond 6 speed and a 408 stoked Cleveland.

I have a Grabber Yellow Boss 351 with 44k original miles. Removed all the original suspension, engine, trans and brakes.

Dropped in all Global West suspension, Baer brakes. Richmond 6 speed and a 408 stoked Cleveland.

I would love to see/hear more about your mods to that Boss 351! Please?!

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

I would love to see/hear more about your mods to that Boss 351! Please?!

Me too!!!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Hi all, my wife and I are the proud owners of a 1972 R code. It is bright red with a vermillion interior, and all the goodies that came with the R code option plus functional ram air and aftermarket air conditioning. It was a frame off restoration in 2004 and will be featured in the June 2014 issue of Mustang Monthly magazine.

• 2 months later...

HEY JEFF72RCODE. AWESOME HO. I SEEN YOUR CAR IN THE MAG. I WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE A HO IN LAST MONTHS ISSUE. I ALSO HAVE A 72 HO SO SEEING ONE IS ALWAYS GREAT

Is wanting every Mustang you see wrong?

Current Mustangs

1965 Fastback

1967 S-Code Coupe

1972 Mach 1 HO

1967 GT fastback K-Code

1995 Gt Conv

2004 GT Conv Supercharged

2007 Shelby Gt500

Well my Dad has 2 Boss 351s and a 72 R Code. Light Pewter Black Mach 1 Sports interior. Both spoilers. Sadly this car is now a basket case but all the good parts are there. He purchased the other Boss and the R Code a couple months apart two years ago. The Boss is Dark Ivy with black Comfortweave, rear spoiler no front spoiler. The first owner bought it from the dealer in 73 who drove it the first two years. The 72 R Code is a Mach 1 red with vermillion Mach 1 Sports Seats and power windows. First owner was a school teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

any pics of the cars mweeps?

Current Mustangs

1965 Fastback

1967 S-Code Coupe

1972 Mach 1 HO

1967 GT fastback K-Code

1995 Gt Conv

2007 Shelby Gt500

This thread needs updated with some more pictures!

Hemming Motor News featured a medium yellow Boss 351 with plaid interior a couple of years back. I have to say I rather like the uniqueness of such an interior.

Thanks for sharing.

great cars

Current Mustangs

1965 Fastback

1967 S-Code Coupe

1972 Mach 1 HO

1967 GT fastback K-Code

1995 Gt Conv

2007 Shelby Gt500

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks man. The red car is a Boss 351 and the white is a 73 Grande.

Well, the red in the first pic is a 71 Mach 1, and the red in the third is the Boss. :)

Well, the red in the first pic is a 71 Mach 1, and the red in the third is the Boss. :)

Which one is the '72 R-code? Haven't seen enough of those in person.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

-Kurt

Hey Kurt. Sadly, I do not own a 72 R-code. Not yet, anyway. :D

-Kurt

Hey Kurt. Sadly, I do not own a 72 R-code. Not yet, anyway. :D

Is that an old bottle of Dogfish Head in the foreground?