Sound off if you have a Boss 351 or '72 R-code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a black Boss that is (still) a project. It was built in Nov 1970, and is the only one with a vermillion (BE) interior. In fact, according to Mustang by the numbers, it's the only Mustang built with that color combination in the '71-'73 body style. Not fond of the interior color, but it is what it is. I have another project ahead of it, so it sits quietly waiting for the day I can get to it.

Steve

^ Steve, that color combo sound great to me. It will be a stunning color combo when fixed!

I have a bright blue metallic Boss 351 with blue standard interior built 11/70 and sold in 4/71. Optioned with tinted glass, power steering, Magnum 500s, AM 8 track radio, and full console. She is a little rough, and needs work, but she runs and drives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Wimbledon White Boss with std black interior. It is pretty basically equipped, but I am thankful for the power steering. My car was sold new in Cordell, Oklahoma. I contacted the selling dealer's family and learned the dealership burned down back in the late 70's. The family now owns a GM dealership. I spoke to Don Cannon's grandaughter and she said they had found a shoebox with some things from the old dealership and wondered if I would like to have any of the items. Ugh... YES!

She also mentioned some old damaged polaroid pictures and asked if my Mustang was white. I told her YES. The pictures were damaged but I told her I would take them even if they were in pieces!

This car built on 12 Feb 1971.

Below is one of the pics that I tried with the help of friends to restore. The last pic is one of my car and and old GF in the staging lanes at Tulsa Drag strip circa about 1982.

I sure hope to get this car back running soon! Ray

Boss_1971_picrestored.jpg

Boss_1971_picrestored_back.jpg

MidAmerica_1982_staginglane.jpg

I have a Wimbledon White Boss with std black interior. It is pretty basically equipped, but I am thankful for the power steering. My car was sold new in Cordell, Oklahoma. I contacted the selling dealer's family and learned the dealership burned down back in the late 70's. The family now owns a GM dealership. I spoke to Don Cannon's grandaughter and she said they had found a shoebox with some things from the old dealership and wondered if I would like to have any of the items. Ugh... YES!

She also mentioned some old damaged polaroid pictures and asked if my Mustang was white. I told her YES. The pictures were damaged but I told her I would take them even if they were in pieces!

Below is one of the pics that I tried with the help of friends to restore. The last pic is one of my car and and old GF in the staging lanes at Tulsa Drag strip circa about 1982.

Nice story and I really like the old pictures.

^ Steve, that color combo sound great to me. It will be a stunning color combo when fixed!

I have a bright blue metallic Boss 351 with blue standard interior built 11/70 and sold in 4/71. Optioned with tinted glass, power steering, Magnum 500s, AM 8 track radio, and full console. She is a little rough, and needs work, but she runs and drives.
Thanks. I just can't imagine ordering a plaid interior, but it was the 70's.

Love the old pics, man. Great story!

I have a Grabber Yellow Boss 351 with 44k original miles. Removed all the original suspension, engine, trans and brakes.

Dropped in all Global West suspension, Baer brakes. Richmond 6 speed and a 408 stoked Cleveland.

I have a Grabber Yellow Boss 351 with 44k original miles. Removed all the original suspension, engine, trans and brakes.

Dropped in all Global West suspension, Baer brakes. Richmond 6 speed and a 408 stoked Cleveland.
I would love to see/hear more about your mods to that Boss 351! Please?!

I would love to see/hear more about your mods to that Boss 351! Please?!
Me too!!!

Ray

Hi all, my wife and I are the proud owners of a 1972 R code. It is bright red with a vermillion interior, and all the goodies that came with the R code option plus functional ram air and aftermarket air conditioning. It was a frame off restoration in 2004 and will be featured in the June 2014 issue of Mustang Monthly magazine.

HEY JEFF72RCODE. AWESOME HO. I SEEN YOUR CAR IN THE MAG. I WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE A HO IN LAST MONTHS ISSUE. I ALSO HAVE A 72 HO SO SEEING ONE IS ALWAYS GREAT

Well my Dad has 2 Boss 351s and a 72 R Code. Light Pewter Black Mach 1 Sports interior. Both spoilers. Sadly this car is now a basket case but all the good parts are there. He purchased the other Boss and the R Code a couple months apart two years ago. The Boss is Dark Ivy with black Comfortweave, rear spoiler no front spoiler. The first owner bought it from the dealer in 73 who drove it the first two years. The 72 R Code is a Mach 1 red with vermillion Mach 1 Sports Seats and power windows. First owner was a school teacher.

This thread needs updated with some more pictures!

Hemming Motor News featured a medium yellow Boss 351 with plaid interior a couple of years back. I have to say I rather like the uniqueness of such an interior.

Thanks for sharing.

A few pics....

e4uma4az.jpg
ata2esa3.jpg
sape6evu.jpg
y6urybeb.jpg
a8y7ejyj.jpg

Back