'71-351C - Tilt steering columm

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fl351c

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande 351C-4V
1971 Convertible 351C-2V
1972 Coupé 302-2V
:huh:

Did someone know how to repair the tilt away position of the steering wheel? the upper position cannot be hold!

Releasing the turn signal towards, the wheel goes up, then seems to keep the position. Pushing the wheel down it goes simply down without staying on the upper position! Thank you in advance:shy:

I'm interested to see how this goes as well. My tilt column is just locked into place - can't tilt it at all.

But it sounds to me like the tilt locking/unlocking mechanism in the turn signal switch is broken. I might be wrong though.

I can fix those..have many times, but dang if I'd know how to walk someone through it without doing it hands on. I can tell you that it is not a simple task. requires some special tools and there is one hell of a spring to watch for.

I can fix those..have many times, but dang if I'd know how to walk someone through it without doing it hands on. I can tell you that it is not a simple task. requires some special tools and there is one hell of a spring to watch for.
Thanks for the reply, Before putting hands on it I've tried to see is there are some repair or spare parts somewhere... but none! just bearing and sealings. I need to have that repaired before the 17th March for the technical control here in Switzerland. Otherwise they will not let me going through the official control for the next 5 years!!! may be I need to "Fix" it on one position to go through the control and then I will have time to solve better!! I will tell you how it will go the repair investigation:D

I'm interested to see how this goes as well. My tilt column is just locked into place - can't tilt it at all.

But it sounds to me like the tilt locking/unlocking mechanism in the turn signal switch is broken. I might be wrong though.
Dear Eric, Thanks for the reply. see my reply to Don. I will tell you also how it will go!! regards

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have found. It could be easy or hard

Remove steering wheel, remove turn signal assembly

There is a metal bar right under the turn signal switch assembly. The bar should be under a clip on each side.

Sometimes the bar works it's way out of the clips, if so work it back into position.

If the bar is in place, then the lower internal parts are worn. It is way more involved then.

Don

From what I have found. It could be easy or hard

Remove steering wheel, remove turn signal assembly

There is a metal bar right under the turn signal switch assembly. The bar should be under a clip on each side.

Sometimes the bar works it's way out of the clips, if so work it back into position.

If the bar is in place, then the lower internal parts are worn. It is way more involved then.

Don
Dear Don, Thanks I will try and give you feedback.

Did you know where I can find the lower internal part in advance?

I have not been able to find parts.

Usually when the internals are bad I salvage the rest of the good parts.

I have been told you can weld and re-drill the worn out pieces but it has to be alined correctly. I haven't tried it yet.

If you find the bar in place and see metal filings inside of it. That will mean it is bad.

I have several non-tilt columns if you need to buy one to get the car drive-able and inspected. Then try and fix your tilt later.

Don

Back