CARB PROBLEMS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILLIAMPARDELL

Reaction score
My Car
72 MACH1
35000 MILES
HI ALL

I HAVE A 351C 2V WHEN I START CAR IT WILL MISS LIKE ITS RUNNING ON 2 CYL THEN CATCH AND RUN RIGHT I HAVE A NEW ELDELBROCK 1406 CARB. NEW TIMING CHAIN AND NEW MSD DIST. IT WAS RUNNING REAL GOOD THEN IT STARTED MISSING WHEN I GAVE IT GAS BUT WOULD RUN OK WHEN I LET OFF. KEPT GETTING WORSE TILL IT WOULD NOT RUN AT ALL. I THOUGHT IT WAS THE POINTS. PUT IN NEW BUT SAME RESULT. WOULD IDLE BUT COUDNT GIV IT GAS. PUT IN MSD NO BETTER CHECKED TIMING CHAIN WAS GOOD PUT NEW ANYWAY. THEN HAD CARD REBUILT. NOW IT WILL START AND RUN BUT STILL MISSING AT START UP UNTILL IT CATCHES. ANY IDEAS ON WHATS WRONG?

It could be an internal leak in the carburetor, leaking into the intake manifold and flooding some of the cylinders, which then take a while to clear out. I would also check for vacuum leaks.

Do you have accelerator pump shot? Does it go down the road fine? Is it only on start-up? I have had to do a ton of work on my carb to cure an over rich idle and a lean hole in the transition. I'm not real familiar with the Edelbrock carb but if we can pinpoint the problem area it may be a simple fix. Check spark at each plug and do a compression test, gotta make sure everything else is up to snuff.

Do you have accelerator pump shot? Does it go down the road fine? Is it only on start-up? I have had to do a ton of work on my carb to cure an over rich idle and a lean hole in the transition. I'm not real familiar with the Edelbrock carb but if we can pinpoint the problem area it may be a simple fix. Check spark at each plug and do a compression test, gotta make sure everything else is up to snuff.
JUST HAD CARB REBUILT. TIMING IS RIGHT ON. NEW MSD DIST AND WIRES. NEW TIMING CHAIN. DOES THIS ONLY AT START UP. TOOK IT FOR A RIDE YESTERDAY AND RUNS FINE AFTER START UP ENGINE HAS ONLY 36000 MILES. MAYBE TOO RICH ?

Back