Motorcraft 4300D Carb -D3ZF-MA Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
I have this 4300D carb, P/N D3ZF-MA in my stock of spare 1973 Mustang parts. It has a vacuum actuator attached to the rear of the carb housing on the choke side that I can't identify (see photo). There is also an extra plate attached to the throttle mechanism (2nd photo - attached with two bolts) that doesn't show up in any shop manual or carb photos I have seen. Anyone have any idea what these are (California emission stuff, marine application?). The D3ZF-LA 4300D carb on my 4 speed Mach 1 does not have these parts.

24l6b0x.jpg

33vkm53.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.mustangtek.com/4300/D3ZF-MA.html Code comes out as mustang cougar or torino...As for the extra plate..Not sure..Ill have to check mine, been a long time sence i really gave it a good look...Mite have the same thing on mine. my carb still had all the emissions stuff on it...I know they got a egr plate for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insofar as the extra plate, are you referring to the aluminum carb spacer D3ZZ-9A589-A? I have a NOS still in the box...I thought they started reproducing them a few years ago so I figured I had a non-essential original with less value than I paid 20 yrs ago.

I have this 4300D carb, P/N D3ZF-MA in my stock of spare 1973 Mustang parts. It has a vacuum actuator attached to the rear of the carb housing on the choke side that I can't identify (see photo).
That's a vacuum actuated pull-off for the choke. As soon as engine starts & generates vacuum it pulls choke open slightly to an adjusted amount. The choke pull-off heated spring will gradually finish opening choke fully. I have no idea about the extra(?) plate.

Back