Using older gas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
My car has been sitting up since May 25th of last year when the engine dropped a valve. I am a few hours work away from the new engine's first start.

On the day my engine failed, I had just filled my tank with 5 gallons of 110 octane and the rest with premium unleaded.

I added fuel stabilizer shortly thereafter.

My fuel system is in good shape. All rubber lines were replaced and the tank is a newer one with no rust or crud. The car is stored indoors and while the garage isn't heated, our winters are mild and the garage is well insulated so the temperatures never drop much below 45 degrees out there.

I suspect the gas is fine, but plan to start the car on a small portable tank.

Is there a good way to test gas?

There are kits out there that would let you test gas. Things like this:

http://www.b3cfuel.com/products/gasoline-test-kit/

But personally, your gas isn't that old. The only thing I would really be worried about is not the gas going bad, but water having collected in the tank from condensation. If your fuel system is sealed, this isn't an issue, but over time water may have built up with it sitting if it was open to the atmosphere.

On the plus side, my fuel tank is pretty much full and my vent is capped as was the fuel line until last week. With the stabilizer and the indoor storage and the capped lines, I think it will be fine. I believe I'll draw a gallon off and try it out in one of my small engines or maybe my Harley and see if it behaves.

I may go by the store and see if I can get one of those test kits or something similar.

Back