Why different shackles for dual vs. single exhaust and are the needed?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I was looking at rear springs and was going to go with the Eaton lowering springs(138ft/lb spring rate) from NPD. Any one use this spring or have any inputs?

I also saw some sites have a dual/single exhaust option for shackles but not NPD so I don't know if I really need them.

-Jim

The bolt heads or nuts are really close to the exhaust tips when you have dual exhaust. Maybe the special ones are low profile or something.

The dual exhaust hangers have one stud on each riser. So that means the nuts are accessed from opposite sides. This makes it a lot easier to install in cramped quarters. The standard ones work also, they are just a little harder to install.

I'll take your word for it. Makes sense, I suppose. I think I used the ones like the Scott Drake shackles that came with my Laurel Mountain Mustang Super Suspension Kit.

Oh well - they work, and I'm going for concourse, so it's all good. ;) :D

sdstang,

Here is one thread that might address the question, who has the Eaton Springs?

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-which-leaf-springs-to-buy?highlight=Eaton

mustang7173
NPD has the springs. They are $50/pair cheaper the getting them direct from Eaton. Also, NPD chared $30 for shipping. Eaton wanter $125.
Well I got new Eaton Detroit leaf springs in today and they look beat up and lots of rust spots. For as much as they cost I wasn't expecting that I would have to detail them. Not like I have enough things to sand and paint! Maybe thats why they are cheaper through NPD :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back