Which books?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
I know that there will be a lot of "learn as you go", but I'd like to know which "must have" books for doing resto/mod you more experienced guys have on the back of your workbench. I'm sure Chilton's 1964 - 1973 Repair Manual is an absolute necessity (maybe?), but should I pay $66 for the 5-volume shop manual set? Or get a couple of the Mustang restoration books? I'm going to be working on just about every part of the car, eventually. No serious racing, no big shows, mostly just burnouts on the weekend.:cool:

Doc

Depends on how much step by step guidance you need. Chilton's is good for play by play repairs, but you can probably get away with a set of Ford Mustang shop manuals for your particular year. I lucked out and got a nice set with the Mach1 but I'll probably have to find a set for the coupe (even though most stuff is probably the same as the Mach1!)

I tend to rely a great deal (initially) on the technical articles in "Mustang Monthly" magazine. They generally have 3 -5 tech articles in every issue.

I do not always take the articles "as gospel" however they usually serve as a very good starting point. Any time, I am doubtful, I go to the shop manuals, Hollander and other source documents to verify.

Hope this helps.

BT

I love Mustang Monthly! I asked them to link exchange or advertise with us but no reply. :huh:

there is also the {how to rebuild Ford V8 engines} but is only for 351c/m/ 400,429,and the 460 there is alot of good info in there.stuff like what parts are interchangeable and pretty much any specs on those engines you need.It runs about 20$ to 25$.It also shows how to remove the engines step by step,and has loads of pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have access to pretty much every year from 64-73 mustang original shop manuals. (Family restores mustangs concours style) Im trying to find a good scanner that one is big enough to scan an entire page (ie the wireing diagrams) and good enough quility that I can get them online so everyone can have them.

Cory

Try the "64 1/2 to 73 Mustang Restoration Guide". There a lot of preview pages of the guide at the link below and it might cover something you are looking for. I have a hardcopy of the guide and use it frequently along with my factory shop manuals.

Here is the link at Amazon.com:

http://books.google.com/books?id=I8XgURy-2MYC&pg=PA416&lpg=PA416&dq=379429-s&source=bl&ots=ST1YC9a-cu&sig=CmN7vLHvRrNUTtmlH3HVV-TikB4&hl=en&ei=b2U2TOzYN4X7lwf8la3TBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=379429-s&f=false

i bought a bunch of books the 5 volume set is great once you get into the mechanical restoration, however its still very limited.

the yellow osborn reproduction manuals for the body, electrical, engine, interior are good at filling in some gaps and giving you assembly order and what fasteners go where. the books are not amazing due too missing information and the quality of the copies that osborn got to make them.

but they were a great help in helping me cross reference electrical connections and how the interior went together. and how to put trim together on the body.

a 64-73 restoration guide that was like 500 pages turned out to be mostly useless. this book looks like the bees knees until you really get into it the 71-73 information is extremely light compared to the earlier mustang information and the diagrams are of such low quality that it becomes worthless.

a book on 351 clevelands was very informative from HPbooks

the AMK product catalog was also great allowing cross reference of what an actual fastener looks like.

there is also a reproduction vacuum diagram book that came in handy when i rebuilt my heater box and needed to hook up all the new vacuum lines.

the original drivers manual has some good info.

Thanks for all the great info, guys. I've looked at nearly all of these online, and as soon as my checking account catches up with my expenses for the front suspension parts, I'll start building my library.

Very much appreciated! :)

Doc

Well, I was going to order the 5-volume shop manual from TrophyMustang.com, but as soon I as I put it in my shopping cart, it was out of stock.

Anyone know a secret place I might find the paper (not CD or download) copy of the 1973 manual, or might want to get rid of theirs (ya, right!)?:)

Doc

Doc,

Don't know if OMS carries it or not but "Mustang Plus" has it listed for $59.95, Item #2989.

You can hit them up online at www.mustangplus.com or call them at 800-999-4289.

BT

5 Volume set? Wonder how many volumes are in the 71 set? I only have 3 volumes...

Barry,

"Mustang Plus" calls for a five (5) volume set Part #2986 at $59.99 for the 1971 Factory Shop Manuals.

I don't know how much of that is duplication of your three (3) volume set.

Hope this helps.

BT

5 Volume set? Wonder how many volumes are in the 71 set? I only have 3 volumes...
1972 set goes like this

volume I- chassis

volume II - engine

volume III - electrical

volume IV - body

volume V - pre-delivery,maintenance and lubrication.

Ah, yeah I have Engine, Pre Delivery and electrical. The other 2 are missing. :(

Don't forget that you can download the factory manuals for less than $20 and print out whatever pages you need and bring them with you while workiing on the car. They will get dirty then throw them away.

Back