• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

R Code J Code >>> Rear End 3.91 Nodular 31 Spline

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandos7173

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang
LOOKING FOR LOCAL CASH SALE ONLY

Located in the greater Los Angeles area

Up for sale

Drum to drum rear end

Tag Id reads

WFD-D2 OLB

3L91 9 982A

If im not mistaken , this is for the 1971 R code and the J code cars

Decoded to:

9"

31 Spline axels

Traction loc

3.91 Gears

Nodular case

Date code on tag = 1970 Nov. 2nd week

Date code on pumpkin is OK5 = 1970 Oct. 5th (or 5th week?)

Also Included leaf springs D1ZA-5556-AA , dated OOY

can still see the 4 colored stripes under the black paint

and original rear sway bar , and original U blots

All yellow and white marking are factory, not sure about the blue at the yoke?, it is possible that all the brakes are original? original Drums still look great!

Looks like its never been apart

I will gladly pull axels and pumpkin upon your inspection.

$2500 gets it all

I can send pics if you send me your email address, unable to post here pics too large, even after resizing them

If interested , please Send me your contact info via private message.

I am in the greater Los Angeles area , prefer picked up with cash, but if you are from out of state or country, there may be other options as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny to see this. I am rebuilding my car to be like a 71 Boss 351. The date code for my car is November of 1970, so your assembly would be the correct date for my rig. No way could I go that much for the unit or drive to LA to get it.

Good luck on the sale! If you need to donate something for tax purposes, give me a shout! ;)

still available

im not far from Disneyland, and Hollyweird if youd like to make a vacation out of it.

I believe I have the matching Toploader as well.

This rear end is still available.

send me a PM if interested.

will consider shipping if thats what it takes to make a sale.

this rear end is still available for sale.

if you have interest, you can send me a PM.

thabks

Mate if it was here in Australia i would buy it in a heartbeat :(

Well at least I know now I should have bought the one on my last parts buying trip up in Maryland for $150. After I got home I had second thoughts and called him and he had sold it. It was just drum to drum with center no springs.

I was told you can tell it is 31 spline by the shape of the center of the axle without pulling the axles is that true?

When I took my 72 Q code vert to friends to store it I towed on dolly 9 miles. I did not know the previous owner had not put grease in the brand new 31 spline Detroit locker rear and screwed it up for sure. This was after passing on the one for $150 won't do that again.

I was told you can tell it is 31 spline by the shape of the center of the axle without pulling the axles is that true?

When I took my 72 Q code vert to friends to store it I towed on dolly 9 miles. I did not know the previous owner had not put grease in the brand new 31 spline Detroit locker rear and screwed it up for sure. This was after passing on the one for $150 won't do that again.
Yes, that is correct, sort of. However, early 28 splines may look like 31s, and later 31s May look like 28s:

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/rearend/measure.html

The condition of the axle will depend on how much assembly lube was used. If the bearings were oiled or greased you might luck out, with no load on the bearings it shouldn't take a lot of lube for them to survive for that distance.

I could never get that lucky. The car had sat for over a year so lube would be minimal if any. It made weird noises when pushing into slot in garage but Lockers make weird noises. When I get garage up and lift in I will pull it out and put car back on rotisserie to start work on it.

I should have bought the one in Maryland but it was starting to snow and the drums were rusted onto the linings and I did not trust looking at the end of the axles. I do have a N case rear I pulled out of a Ford van that is same as mustang [/align]but it is an open rear which would be ok for autocross but not 1/4 mile.

Back