1972 Q-code 4-speed Coupe - one of 162, built August 2nd (not mine - VIN 2F01Q239431)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
Not mine; I know the owner and have seen the car. It is unlikely that he'll ever post it here, but I did buy a Marti on it when I considered purchasing the car. No sense in leaving the documentation of an interesting Q-code coupe in the annals of forgotten files; hence, here it is.

This one is one of 162 coupes painted in Ivy Glow with black standard interior in '72, and one of 355 coupes that year to get the Q-code/4-speed combo.

Without a full report, I cannot narrow it down any further. Car is too much of a basket case to bother with the full report, and he's asking $3k past its maximum value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that the build month/year is listed as 07/72 but it was actually produced on 8/2/72.

I'd bet it is a one of one car due to the unusual options selected:

Four-Speed Manual Transmission

Color Keyed Racing Mirrors

F70x14 Belted Raised White Letter Tires

Trim Rings/Hub Caps

Competition Suspension

Instrumentation Group

Interesting car.

Interesting that the build month/year is listed as 07/72 but it was actually produced on 8/2/72.

Trim Rings/Hub Caps

Competition Suspension

Instrumentation Group

Interesting car.
Seeing that it was produced on August 2nd, it doesn't seem that unusual. The car was built on the tail end of the previous month.

As for options - the lack of 4 wheel drum brakes with no power assist sticks out like a sore thumb - especially considering everything else it has. This car was made to go fast and downshift brake, but nobody was particularly concerned about stopping when they spec'ed it out.

The 1-of-1 possibility is the only reason I considered buying it once. Even still, I could not justify $5,500 for a coupe with trunk rot, floorboard rot, hood rot, a shot cowl, bad aprons, and holes at the rear window corners. It's a nasty northern basket case that looks better than it is - even up close. Fact is, I could dig up a 429 coupe in similar shape for $5,500 and have a much more valuable car - at the end of a thankless restoration.

That, and the previous owner wanted rights to drive it on alternating weekends when it was done (amongst a laundry list of other quirks). Not going to happen - I have a rule: I don't drive other folks' cars, and they don't drive mine.

-Kurt

Also notice that the NACA hood is not in the Marti, and the difference in the Ivy Glow between the hood and fenders, and the rest of the car.

Original owner swears that it came from the dealership with the NACA hood.

-Kurt

Trim Rings/Hub Caps

Competition Suspension

Instrumentation Group

Interesting car.
Seeing that it was produced on August 2nd, it doesn't seem that unusual. The car was built on the tail end of the previous month.

As for options - the lack of 4 wheel drum brakes with no power assist sticks out like a sore thumb - especially considering everything else it has. This car was made to go fast and downshift brake, but nobody was particularly concerned about stopping when they spec'ed it out.

The 1-of-1 possibility is the only reason I considered buying it once. Even still, I could not justify $5,500 for a coupe with trunk rot, floorboard rot, hood rot, a shot cowl, bad aprons, and holes at the rear window corners. It's a nasty northern basket case that looks better than it is - even up close. Fact is, I could dig up a 429 coupe in similar shape for $5,500 and have a much more valuable car - at the end of a thankless restoration.

That, and the previous owner wanted rights to drive it on alternating weekends when it was done (amongst a laundry list of other quirks). Not going to happen - I have a rule: I don't drive other folks' cars, and they don't drive mine.

-Kurt
I could dig up a 429 coupe in similar shape for $5,500 and have a much more valuable car - at the end of a thankless restoration.

429 coupe for 5500 ??? and you haven't bought it

Trim Rings/Hub Caps

Competition Suspension

Instrumentation Group

Interesting car.

-Kurt
I could dig up a 429 coupe in similar shape for $5,500 and have a much more valuable car - at the end of a thankless restoration.

429 coupe for 5500 ??? and you haven't bought it
+1

The one of one means little to me. (Interesting but not really that important.) Almost any car can drill down to that...

The factory motor/engine combo is a much higher factor of rarity in my opinion.

--429 hardtop sounds really interesting.

Ray

Also notice that the NACA hood is not in the Marti, and the difference in the Ivy Glow between the hood and fenders, and the rest of the car.

-Kurt
Kurt the original owner was correct that when a Q code was ordered it came with the NASA , NACA HOOD with the exception of the Sprint coupe IIRC.

"Original owner swears that it came from the dealership with the NACA hood."

-Kurt
Kurt the original owner was correct that when a Q code was ordered it came with the NASA , NACA HOOD with the exception of the Sprint coupe IIRC.

I don't think that is an accurate statement because I've never seen documentation that supports it and know for a fact that the more powerful R-coded cars in 72 came with the standard hood. I have a friend I go to church with who is the original owner of an R code that has the standard non-NASA hood.

I have seen documentation that the NASA hood is standard on all 351C Mach 1s. The 302 engined Mach 1s came with the standard hood with the NASA hod being a no cost option. I have another friend that is the original owner of one of these with a standard hood.

I double-checked with the forum's head experts. This was not the case. Non-functional NACA hoods were not available (at all) on coupes, Grandes, non-Mach Sportsroofs, or convertibles. Only exception: 1973 convertibles ordered with the Exterior Decor Group.

The only way to get a NACA hood on any of these body styles would be to order it with functional Ram Air, thereby adding the tu-tone paint and hood locks to the package by default. The '73 Exterior Decor Group cars also received the paint and locks, even though they did not have Ram Air.

That said - just in case anyone comes across this thread via Google in the future - following is a breakdown of the hood options (provided by our very own Kit Sullivan to me via PM; thanks, Kit!):

1. 302 Mach 1s came standard with flat hoods; non-functional NACA hoods were a no-cost option.
  2. Mach 1s with any other engine other than the 302 (351C 2V H-code, 351C 4V M or Q-code, 429 C or J-code, and 1972 351C 4V R-code Machs) came with the non-functional NACA hood as standard equipment.
  3. No other 1971 or 1972 Mustang came with a non-functional NACA hood as standard or optional. Not available from factory. <--This one got me when I first heard it, but once I thought about it vs. the Marti reports and original cars I have seen, it made perfect sense.
  4. All mustang models (Coupe, Sportsroof, Convertible, Grande, Mach 1) could be ordered with a functional NACA hood with Ram Air. Ram Air adds hood pins and tu-tone paint by default, in addition to engine call-out decals on the hood. Boss 351's, of course, have a squared-off NACA Ram Air hood blackout treatment which is unique to them, and their call-out decals simply state "Ram Air" without the engine CI (which is already called out on the fender of a Boss 351).
  5. 1973 only: Coupes or convertibles ordered with the Exterior Decor Group received non-functional NACA hoods, but also received the tutone paint and hood locks previously reserved for Ram Air cars. These cars do not have call-out decals on the hood.

Kit, I hope you don't mind, but I've added a few additional comments in the list for clarity to those less familiar with our cars.

Incidentally, when Googling for information on this, I found a post by 68RCodeConv on Vintage-Mustang.com from 2003, which noted that he owned a Marti-confirmed Q-code convertible with a flat hood.

-Kurt

Something wrong with the forum software? I have a notice in my inbox of a reply in this thread by Boss1Ray, but no sign of the reply here.

-Kurt

Something wrong with the forum software? I have a notice in my inbox of a reply in this thread by Boss1Ray, but no sign of the reply here.

-Kurt
Kurt -

I posted then deleted because thought it was important enough to post under my original Decor Group Thread. Here are my findings that support my very original 72 Q code 4 speed convertible having the NASA hood. THX

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-decor-group-71-72-73?pid=263651#pid263651

Ray

This car is one of 272 1972 "01" hardtops with the 351 C Q code and 4 speed.

For same year only 72 similarly equipped Grandes "04" cars were built.

Ray

Back