is this power steering unit original?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarturin

Reaction score
My Car
73 302 coupe
68 289 coupe for sale
DSC_1084.jpgDSC_1089.jpg

Hello friends, need your help, trying to install JBA 1650S short exhaust headers in my Coupe, 1973, 302, standard, that according to JBA fits with no problems, but power steering is in the way at driver side. So, options are power steering is bigger than thought, or JBA is wrong.

If I make a bump to make room, seems needs to be 1/2 to 3/4 " deep what seems too much in original primary diam which is 1.5/8.

Photos attached of power unit, and of primary to be bumped..

Thanks!!

Hello friends, need your help, trying to install JBA 1650S short exhaust headers in my Coupe, 1973, 302, standard, that according to JBA fits with no problems, but power steering is in the way at driver side. So, options are power steering is bigger than thought, or JBA is wrong.

If I make a bump to make room, seems needs to be 1/2 to 3/4 " deep what seems too much in original primary diam which is 1.5/8.

Photos attached of power unit, and of primary to be bumped..

Thanks!!
Looks the same as mine and I have a '71 with a 351C.

image.jpg

Looks like you have new motor mounts in there. If you have the old ones check to see if they are the same height. Might have shorter mounts making the header closer to the steering box.

Jarturin,

Yes, that is the standard power steering box in the 1971-1973 mustangs with the Power steering option. I have a pair of shorty headers that barely clear my power steering box. I did research on some headers and found a set that I might need to look into. Sanderson headers has several new designs, one called the Small Block Ford Blockhugger Header Set , that really is snug towards the engine and for clearance. Another interesting option is that they offer them for mustangs with AOD's installed.

Another option is to slightly modify your current headers to clear your P/S box or call Tech support to see if they are designed to fit your application. I know it states that should fit. Let us know what you do!

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/64-73-Ford-Mustang/

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to wonder if they actually tried them on a 71-73 or if they figure if they fit the smaller body stangs they must fit the big ones.

You might consider some heat shielding material between the header and PS unit.

Sure looks like it would transfer a lot of heat. I don't have specifics. Maybe someone else has done this and can share.

Ray

Sure looks like it would transfer a lot of heat. I don't have specifics. Maybe someone else has done this and can share.

Ray

Interesting thought. I was under my car the other day working on my Z bar linkage and even with manual steering, the box to header proximity is close. I actually considered some heat shielding, but my headers are Nitroplated (Ceramic coated) and hopefully that will keep the heat transfer down some.

Ray

Interesting thought. I was under my car the other day working on my Z bar linkage and even with manual steering, the box to header proximity is close. I actually considered some heat shielding, but my headers are Nitroplated (Ceramic coated) and hopefully that will keep the heat transfer down some.
Thanks, will consider checking my new motor mounts (good eye!!!), making a hope nice dimple, and heat shielding!

Did not consider Blockhugger because primary is only 1.1/2, JBA has 1.5/8, and I am installing Edelbrock performer RPM, for 360 HP (they asked for 1.3/4 primaries but did not find it).

Let's see....

Back