Bob Perkins - ask a question link

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sent him a question.

"How do you find a good body shop?"

I don't even trust local mechanics to change my oil.

Once took a '78 Caddy to a body shop for some minor

fender damage. The owner came out and looked at the car,

"Wow, that is real steel" he said. I got back in the car

and drove away.

mike

Got a response from Bob Perkins this morning.

He raised some issues I would not have thought of.

I would invite him to join this group, otherwise you can

just submit the 'weekly fun question" to him.

mike

Thank you for the resource. I inquired about the heat riser air tube going from the heat riser to the snorkel of the air cleaner. I have not been able to definitively find the correct color of the marking on the tube. Bob did respond back that blue is correct for my 72. It appears as though he is still active in that forum. Thank you,

Thank you for the resource. I inquired about the heat riser air tube going from the heat riser to the snorkel of the air cleaner. I have not been able to definitively find the correct color of the marking on the tube. Bob did respond back that blue is correct for my 72. It appears as though he is still active in that forum. Thank you,
Very welcome. I was hoping this might be an avenue for the tougher questions.

If you have the time - can you better describe your question to him? When you say color of the tube and then marking on the tube I got confused. So what color is the tube and what is the marking?

Pic might help. Thanks,

Ray

Ray,

Glad to clarify. The Heat Riser air tube is a paper covered aluminum flex tube that goes from the heat riser on the passanger exhaust manifold to the underside of the air cleaner snorkel to provide warmer air during cold starts. The paper on the tube is black colored and from the factory had a colored band near the top about 1/2 to 1 inch down from the connection to the air scorkel. The colored band can vary depending on year,motor, and accessories. Here is an example of the correct colored band and location on a 71 351 Boss from Bob Perkins collection. He indicated this is also correct for a 72 351C. If the MCA National Head Judge said that was the color, who am I to question it for scoring purposes.

Just for further information (and frustration) the clamp attaching the air tube to the snorkel is a Wittek #34 clamp. These like many other of our cars parts are made from unobtanium and are hard to find and expensive when you do. I lucked out and found one, but they are usually on eBay for $50 or more depending on the condition and seller. Gold cadmium is the proper finish on the clamp.

air tube.jpg

Back