71 Mach 1 Trunk Bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang Mach 1, 429CJ, J Code SOLD 3/2016

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
From Kim Miller Collection
I do not recall ever seeing trunk rubber bumpers on the body. Every car that I have looked at since I have noticed this does not have the rubber bumpers on the body.

My car was born on September 25, 1970. Does anyone know when or why this changed. Are your bumpers on the trunk lid? Mine also seem to be adjustable sort of like most bumpers on the hoods of most cars.

Just curious about this difference.

image.jpg

I think the rubber bumpers were never installed at the factory, especially not on the trunk rear lower shroud. The bumpers were planned to be used on the trunk lid but never made it into production. The dimples down there were the contact surfaces for the rubber bumpers on the lid when slammed.

They were found unnecessary and the dimples were deleted from production around spring 1971.

My Mach 1 is early September 70 and has the dimples in the metal and the holes for the rubber bumpers in the trunk lid, but no bumpers installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the rubber bumpers were never installed at the factory, especially not on the trunk rear lower shroud. The bumpers were planned to be used on the trunk lid but never made it into production. The dimples down there were the contact surfaces for the rubber bumpers on the lid when slammed.

They were found unnecessary and the dimples were deleted from production around spring 1971.

My Mach 1 is early September 70 and has the dimples in the metal and the holes for the rubber bumpers in the trunk lid, but no bumpers installed.
I can't imagine that this was owner installed. I was told my car has all the original sheet metal at time of restoration. I don't think they would have been added at that time either. I guess there is no way to know if they were factory installed. This could make my trunk one of one! Has to be worth more now..Ha

I can't imagine that this was owner installed. I was told my car has all the original sheet metal at time of restoration. I don't think they would have been added at that time either. I guess there is no way to know if they were factory installed. This could make my trunk one of one! Has to be worth more now..Ha
They were added - not factory

Mike, I had an opportunity to look at an early, September 1970 J-code car today at Auctions America. No stops.

Same color as yours, incidentally.

-Kurt

Mike, I had an opportunity to look at an early, September 1970 J-code car today at Auctions America. No stops.

Same color as yours, incidentally.

-Kurt
So likely owner added then. I have several previous owners name/ contact info including two that owned the car BEFORE it was restored. Just out of curiosity I will tax their memories and see what they say. I have no idea how long each owned the car. Hopefully, it will be a lot of years combined!

Kurt, did you happen to get the vin# for that car? Mine is 118495. Just curious where it might fall as a September 1970 car.

So likely owner added then. I have several previous owners name/ contact info including two that owned the car BEFORE it was restored. Just out of curiosity I will tax their memories and see what they say. I have no idea how long each owned the car. Hopefully, it will be a lot of years combined!

Kurt, did you happen to get the vin# for that car? Mine is 118495. Just curious where it might fall as a September 1970 car.
The car had a full Marti and such, but I didn't take the info down, and I don't carry a smartphone for photo-documenting.

It was a high-dollar restoration (of excellent technical skill) on a solid car, but had enough tasteless accuracy mistakes (not to mention an ass of a consignor) to lose my interest completely.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back