71 mach 1 $10K

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing shows an L code for the engine on the vin. Doesn't that mean it should be the inline?

Three things:

• Looks like it's either a fake door data tag, or they peeled the original when they painted the car, then put it back on minus the backing (which would explain why it is clear). Unlike most fake tags, this one has the right font on it.
  • It's wearing a Sportsroof's smooth taillight panel, rather than the Mach's honeycomb. Twist locks are not in the right spot. Short console. All point to a base car with a bad clone job that had some effort put into it.
  • $10,500 for a 6-cylinder Mach clone with a smashed quarter panel?

01616_98ppYLI689T_600x450.jpg

No thank you.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
My 69 FB started off as a straight six 3 speed. Now has a 408 5 speed. It would have to be an idiot to think it was a mach 1. But they are out there and people know it. It is first listed as a 72, then as a 71. Tag says 72 but has the 71 grill support and PS lines clamped to the shock tower support bracket. Chrome front bumper?

OK I'll be the first to say it...the spoiler is on backwards. It pains me seeing that they drilled holes in the hood for hood locks in the wrong location, what in the world would they latch onto way back there?

The seller says no rust but there's cracked bondo on the damaged right rear quarter panel near the wheel well, I'm betting that's not the only part of the car that's been patched with bondo.

Jim

The picture of the engine shows NOTHING for the hood pins to secure into. I'd bet that they're bolted in place and don't even pop up. Purely visual.

Also, why is the front of the passenger side shock tower shiny metal? What's going on with that?

Kurt , I think we should officially nominate you our "Mustang C.S.I." detective ! :D

Kurt , I think we should officially nominate you our "Mustang C.S.I." detective ! :D
In all fairness, I didn't even bother to look until the Bondo cracks were mentioned.

If you want to see some really crazy ID work though, you should see what I used to correctly identify that my 1980 Peugeot PY10CP was indeed the 1-of-1 showbike from the New York International Bike Show (despite the wrong brake calipers and cables having been installed on it since the show). Bonus points if you can find the tipoff without reading the ID thread:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/860177-photos-1979-1980-ny-bike-show-peugeot-py10cp-content.html

http://www.kurtkaminer.com/peugeot_py10_nybikeshow.html

Unfortunately, I no longer have the PY10CP, but - in all fairness - it paid for the car and a fair share of Marti Reports ;)

-Kurt

I'll second that "Mustang C.S.I." detective" nomination. I sent him a elusive right rear quarter panel patch and it was delivered. Problem was, FedEx dropped it off a few houses down from his address.

Not to be denied, "Detective Kurt" found the part and box in someone else's nearby trash and retrieved it.

FedEx -1

Kurt + 2

Latest posts

Back