New forum member from Oz (added pictures)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sprint Sportsroof
G'day folks, stumbled across this forum recently and thought I'd join up from across the Pacific (Australia).

Always loved 2 door Ford muscle cars and at age 21 (23 years ago) bought myself a 1970 Mach1 which had been converted to right hand drive as mandated by the laws here at the time. Had that car for five years but reluctantly sold it to get a house deposit.

goldstang1.jpg

To keep myself amused I then passed the time with a cheaper 1974 XB Ford Falcon coupe (think Mad Max), which like an idiot I sold eight years ago for $2200 dollars to buy something "practical". (Shoulda hung onto it because it would have been worth about $25000 now, but no use kicking myself about it now.....:-/)

xbcoupe1.jpg

When I had the 70 Mach 1 I always thought of the 71 - 73 Mustangs as being rather uninspiring in design, but in the years after that cars departure I began to see the later models with a different eye, and swore that if I ever got another 'stang it would be one of these. A year ago I came to the realisation that I had some cash to burn and saw my current ride for sale on eBay by a guy who had just imported it. It started it's life as a 1972 Olympic Sprint model (302W 3-spd toploader) but is now painted yellow with interesting non-standard Grabber stripes. I love the new scheme and have no desire to change it back to original. Ten years ago Left Hand Drive vehicles over 30 years old became legal to drive here in Oz so the car will stay LHD (only really a problem in a RHD country when overtaking). The biggest issue with having the Mustang is that every second person on the street wants to stop you and talk about it when sometimes you just wanna be left alone! There are many Mustangs down here but not so many 71 - 73 models, in fact so few that many people don't even recognise the distinctive 72 shape as being that of a Mustang. I'm mainly active on the Australian Mustang forum, but might drop in here every now and again for a look-see.

In case anyone is interested I just posted a tutorial there on how to convert fastback fixed quarter windows to wind down ones from a coupe - very cool to have a pillarless Mustang!

http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13800

Edit: window tutorial now posted on the 7173 forum at: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fastback-quarter-windows?page=2

Cheers

Brett

stangprofile3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums! We are glad to have you aboard! Your car sounds great...can't wait to see more pics!

::welcome::

WELCOME aboard, Brett!

Thanks for sharing the very IMPRESSIVE tutorial on converting the fixed window to "roll down" - - Excellent post.

I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums. Again, Welcome!

BT

Welcome! That's a cool story and your car sounds great! It looks like there is something different about your hood too in the above pic. Looking forward to more pics & thanks for the tutorial.

Hi Brett,

Cool way to introduce yourself with such a tutorial!

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Here are some pics of my car. The yellow/black theme with the spoiler and scoop were on the car when I bought it so I can't take any credit (or blame depending on your perspective) for the way the car has been themed. I've never really been a fan of adding non-standard parts to a car, but for some reason I really like the way this one has been done, I'm guessing because it kinda looks like one of the Hot Wheels cars I played with as a kid!

I'd be interested if anyone here recognised where these types of scoop and spoiler are sourced from, because there are subtle design cues on them that make me think they were designed only to fit a 71-73 Mustang, and I'm also wondering if they are new parts or something a fair bit older.

As I mentioned earlier, this car started out as a white and blue Sprint model, which is why it has a standard hood (or bonnet as they're called here) and Mach 1 grill and bumper. It's running 15" x 10" rears with 295/60 tyres and 15" x 8" fronts with 245/60's. engine is a stock 302W, but I've swapped out the 2bb carby with a 4bbl 575 Holley and manifold to give it a little bit more pickup when I kick it in the guts on the open road.

Cheers

Brett

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Here are some pics of my car. The yellow/black theme with the spoiler and scoop were on the car when I bought it so I can't take any credit (or blame depending on your perspective) for the way the car has been themed. I've never really been a fan of adding non-standard parts to a car, but for some reason I really like the way this one has been done, I'm guessing because it kinda looks like one of the Hot Wheels cars I played with as a kid!

I'd be interested if anyone here recognised where these types of scoop and spoiler are sourced from, because there are subtle design cues on them that make me think they were designed only to fit a 71-73 Mustang, and I'm also wondering if they are new parts or something a fair bit older.

As I mentioned earlier, this car started out as a white and blue Sprint model, which is why it has a standard hood (or bonnet as they're called here) and Mach 1 grill and bumper. It's running 15" x 10" rears with 295/60 tyres and 15" x 8" fronts with 245/60's. engine is a stock 302W, but I've swapped out the 2bb carby with a 4bbl 575 Holley and manifold to give it a little bit more guts when I kick it in the guts on the open road.

Cheers

Brett

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg
The spoiler & scoop look like ecklers corvette parts http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-rear-wing-xpo-1984-1990.html

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-hood-twin-turbo-1968-1976.html

Hi,

I really like this C stripe design on the car. And I think the wheels look great. Had anyone told me to put smoothies on a 71-73 Mustang I would have said "no way"! But they sure look good! ::thumb::

That rear wing in your link does look similar to mine. Possible Corvette part on a Mustang is something I better keep quite about over here :dodgy:

The scoop is different to the linked one though - the reason why I thought it might be designed for the Mustang is that it has an identical crease up the centre of it to the centre crease on the hood, and it's also got a curve at the back of it the kind of matches the hood curve near the windscreen.

Hi,

I really like this C stripe design on the car. And I think the wheels look great. Had anyone told me to put smoothies on a 71-73 Mustang I would have said "no way"! But they sure look good! ::thumb::
Thanks luxstang. Whoever the guy was who themed this car, he was certainly brave with putting on the c-stripes, smoothies, and fibreglass add-ons. Luckily there are so few of this model Mustang in Australia that hardly anybody outside Mustang circles here would know this is not how they are meant to look. :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back