Leaf spring "eye" location.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
If I like the "stance" of my car with factory leaf springs, but I want to go with a stiffer spring, is it safe to say that I should get the same stance with a 4 1/2 leaf spring as long as the location of the eyes stay the same (reverse, standard, etc..)?

i bought standard 4 leaf springs a few years back and they did not last. very soft and sloppy ride. so i up graded to the 5 leaf h.d. springs, its a lot stiffer ride. i like it better .i think the ride height changed very little.

Hi Caz,

My original factory four leafs were shot, and i too upgraded to five leaf springs with the same standard eye shackles. For me, i got a stiffer ride too, but that didn't worry me at all. It also raised the rear end height up about 2-3 inches but that was the look i was chasing anyway.See my before and after pics below.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

GR8BB5~1.JPGIMG_7581.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.. I'm not afraid of a firmer ride at all. Just as long as it's not bone jarring. Will the 5 leafs compliment 600# coil springs? I have a 4v Cleveland and not a big block (not sure if that would affect the rear springs or not). I also have 245/45-17's in the front and 275/40-17's in the rear. I love the way it sits, it just needs to be a little firm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.. I'm not afraid of a firmer ride at all. Just as long as it's not bone jarring. Will the 5 leafs compliment 600# coil springs? I have a 4v Cleveland and not a big block (not sure if that would affect the rear springs or not). I also have 245/45-17's in the front and 275/40-17's in the rear. I love the way it sits, it just needs to be a little firm.
Caz,

You won't find the ride bone jarring with the five leaf setup, and you will have a firmer setup as well. Just make sure your gas shocks are not too hard as this can take you over the edge sometimes with the ride being too hard. I have 302 Windsor and it has little bearing on the five leaf setup i think.Can't help you with the 600# coil question. I run stock factory front springs on my vert.

Greg.:)

Back