Coupe to fastback?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I was looking at my NPD catalog and noticed that the '71-'73 specific panels are available. Have anyone ever considered converting a coupe into a fastback?

How to convert a '71-73 hardtop (coupe) into a '71-73 Sportsroof:

Step #1: Sell hardtop.

Step #2: Buy Sportsroof.

Humor aside, this is the best way to go about it. By the time you find workable inner quarter structures, package tray sheet metal, roof frame, A-pillars, roof skin, and full quarters (not a single one of these panels are reproduced, I might add); you probably would have found yourself a solid car connected to it.

Of all the Sportsroof-specific parts you will need for the conversion, only the trunk and end caps are reproduced. Kinda short of a full structure, eh?

-Kurt

How to convert a '71-73 hardtop (coupe) into a '71-73 Sportsroof:

Step #1: Sell hardtop.

Step #2: Buy Sportsroof.

Humor aside, this is the best way to go about it. By the time you find workable inner quarter structures, package tray sheet metal, roof frame, A-pillars, roof skin, and full quarters (not a single one of these panels are reproduced, I might add); you probably would have found yourself a solid car connected to it.

Of all the Sportsroof-specific parts you will need for the conversion, only the trunk and end caps are reproduced. Kinda short of a full structure, eh?

-Kurt
+ 100

Every one I have seen was either not finished (builder gave up) or looked terrible.

Huge money and time ahead to pick up a sportsroof and proceed from there.

Ray

Try and find a stripped down fastback shell and put all of your coupe parts on it. I was going to do this with my 71 coupe when i found a 71 mach, but the owner of the junkyard refused to sell me the shell after hearing my plan. He said my coupe was too clean to chop up, so instead he gave me whatever parts i wanted off the car and then it disappeared. Hope it went to a good cause...

I appreciate all the comments. I wasn't actually looking for myself. I have a '73 Mach-1. Looking at all the awesome body work that some have done (or have had done), i just thought it would be am option for those who wanted but couldn't find..

Whatd be cool is a removable fastback roof on a concertible platform... Ive seen it done with a c2 corvette and a 66 mustang.. The roof pins down in the back, and uses the convertible mounts on the windshield. Pretty sweet looking

Like a targa top or like the hard top convertible (like the '74ish)?

Mine is a coupe Grandé, my next one will be a mach1 Sportroof, or fastback, but my first plan want to got not a Grandé. Anyway I have her and continue to work on it, at the end I love this car, it's still anyway the style I like, the 70's to me is my favorite period for cars.

Here in France is not very easy to find the "perle rare" without put on the table a lot of money.

In my garage I have this Pony, and a Toyota Célica Supra from 1985. My plan is to make a place in my garage, to welcome my next purchase.

Arrivederci.

Back