exhaust system for 302 4speed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomar1957

Reaction score
My Car
73 302 4speed deluxe int air
I have a 73 mach1 with a 302, 4 speed,power steering, air cond and factory single exhaust system. I cannot find headers that will fit with 4 spd and power steering. I would not be opposed to keeping the stock exhaust manifolds but the never made an H-pipe for 1973 302 dual exhaust. All ideas considered Thanks

They never offered duals on a 302, so that is why you cannot find a stock H-pipe.

They also never offered the 4-speed on a 302 ( or a 351 2-V)...only the 3- speed.

You definitely will have to get a custom exhaust. No big deal...a good shop can fix you up.

Last edited:
...what Kit said:)!

Also, when get the opportunity, please post up in the "Introduction" Forum as we would love to hear about the history of your Mustang.

BT

You could use 289 hipo headers and factory h pipe from a pre 68 Mustang. The under floor sections are so similar that you probably could install a whole 66 dual system.

I used Tri-Y headers(El-Cheapo Stainless from Ebay) on mine and I had to grind a chunk out of the bellhousing for them to seat properly. I have the large bell housing on my 302. I got a 2" universal H-Pipe from CJ Pony for 64-73 Mustangs and ran custom exhaust from that point.

Works great for me cleared the power steering and the Z-bar clutch no problems. Pics are in the thread below from when I did mine. Also I have much more ground clearance than I did with the long tubes they replaced.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-headers-i-removed-from-my-71

I am using doug shorty headers, however i have a FMX w/power steering. I had my exhaust custom made with 2.5" piping and h pipe with delta flow 40's for under $500 and it gives it such a good sound

Back